Thread: Indoor archery range

Addix New-B

Indoor archery range

We have been shooting at a block target outside for two years at 20 and 25 yards. Want to set up indoors for over winter but can only get 15 yards inside. Is this too short in distance to hone our archery skills?

Thanks

2. ArcheryAddix.com is the premier Archery Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Re: Indoor archery range

Any distance is better than not shooting at all.

I have a block target set up in my garage at only 15 feet. Short distance shooting is awesome for working on your form and messing with different set-ups. At night, I open the garage doors and hide behind the wife's van so the neighbors can't see me and I can get 20 to 30 yards from my driveway.
    Darton Pro 3800

I have a 22 yard range in my basement. (Actually I just set up a target and shoot around all the furniture and kids crap). Kinda cool to find those little windows from the other end of the basement and land those spots. (Of course the basement is evacuated when I do it). The consequences of missing, wrecking something, and really ticking off the wife almost simulates the pressure and adrenaline you feel in the field when hunting.

In all seriousness though, just shooting and keeping strong all year is the best part of it all. Like Daemon said - you can practice form and follow through, and at that range you should be challenging yourself to hit dime size spots.
    Officially Addicted.

Addix Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andyl
    We have been shooting at a block target outside for two years at 20 and 25 yards. Want to set up indoors for over winter but can only get 15 yards inside. Is this too short in distance to hone our archery skills?

Thanks
    Under 3 feet from your extended bow arm is too short, anything beyond that->>>>--------->

Depending on you & your setup, your 20 yd pin will be dead on at around 8,9,10 yds. Find that distance & just shoot at smaller targets. I like those little 3/4" self adhesive dottos.

I can sure stack arrows at 5 yards... No Joke lol

I have a 12 yard setup in the garage that I practice on every day.
    48" spyderweb on wheels... on nice days I can spin the target 90 degrees and open the overhead door...and get 30 yards from out in the driveway.
    I use a 5 spot target scaled for 10 yards... it fits on standard 8 1/2x 11" printer paper, and making copys is cheap.

If you think shooting 300 is difficult in regulation... try it with an X ring thats the same size as a 27 series target shaft. :)

Addix Prodigy

Shooting is good and important all year long. The challenge is often to just find a place to do it. Once you line up the peep and the pin on target, does it really matter if it is 20, 30, 40, 50, or 60 yards all summer long? It's really just a matter of getting comfortable with your tool, (your bow). So if your inside shots can only be a short distance, I have found that the only things that matter are having a target that will stop your arrow and hitting the target. ( or fixing the hole before your wife sees it! :neutral: :neutral: :neutral: )
    You don't quit hunting because you get old....
    You get old because you quit hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by elkguide
    Shooting is good and important all year long. The challenge is often to just find a place to do it. Once you line up the peep and the pin on target, does it really matter if it is 20, 30, 40, 50, or 60 yards all summer long? It's really just a matter of getting comfortable with your tool, (your bow). So if your inside shots can only be a short distance, I have found that the only things that matter are having a target that will stop your arrow and hitting the target. ( or fixing the hole before your wife sees it! :neutral: :neutral: :neutral: )

Thats why I'm in the garage Elk... no dames allowed :D :D :D

Addix Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by shockman
    Quote Originally Posted by elkguide

Thats why I'm in the garage Elk... no dames allowed :D :D :D
    If it wasn't for all my tools and stuff that I have to have and don't want it to sit outdoors in the snow, I'd do that BUT......
    You don't quit hunting because you get old....
    You get old because you quit hunting.

Addix New-B

Thanks I appreciate the feedback and will set up inside to practice year round.

Links