Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Who prefers 8190 over 452x and why?

  1. #1
    Addix Expert
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    748

    Who prefers 8190 over 452x and why?

    In this thread I would like to gather some info and experiences about the BCY 8190 and 452X in comparison.

    In the near future I would like to restart, making my own strings, like I did 15 years ago with good results. I would truly appreciate any valuable info from archers and string makers.

    The speed, so nice it might be, is not my first goal. There is not much speed to gain anyway de to simple limits and laws of physics.

    Since I have to travel (mostly overseas) for bowhunting and I want to elimante everything which can ruin my hunt, RELIABILITY is what counts for me.


    I would be interested in answers for questions like:

    - which one stays steadier when the climate conditions suddenly are totally different (temperature, humidity)

    - on which one the serving tends to separate more or less

    - is there one of them asking for a special serving material

    - which one offers a better protection against getting fuzzy

    etc.

    Any further information over a significant difference will be appreciated, too.


    Thanks in advance

    Markus


  2. ArcheryAddix.com is the premier Archery Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
     

  3. #2
    Addix Veteran cordini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Bismarck, ND
    Posts
    4,474
    I will be following this thread.....I won't be dabbling into the art of string making, but I would like to hear about the differences in performance. Looking at the BCY website, the 8190 seems to be the strongest material.....about the only downfall is a lack of color selection.
    Muley Hunter....ND Badlands
    Hoyt Carbon 34/Carbon Spyder Turbo /Buffalo
    German Kinetics Broadhead Slinger
    First Lite ASAT

  4. #3
    Addix Expert
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    748
    Quote Originally Posted by cordini View Post
    I will be following this thread.....I won't be dabbling into the art of string making, but I would like to hear about the differences in performance. Looking at the BCY website, the 8190 seems to be the strongest material.....about the only downfall is a lack of color selection.
    This is what irritates me on those statements of the manufacturers. Often to be found on many fields of business.
    When they really have "the best", why still offering "second or third best" if the price is hardly different. Only the choice of color?

    Markus

  5. #4
    Addix Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    williamsport PA
    Posts
    193
    I have been using almost all brownell xs2 which is very similar to 8190, I have found it more stable than 452x. I was always a bcy only guy but they were to slow getting me samples and colors of 8190, so I tried xs2 and haven't looked back

  6. #5
    Addix Expert
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    748
    Just looked at the Brownell site and at the XS.

    Same thing here: The AstroFlight just underneath is promoted by being "20% stronger".......Stronger than what???!!! Stronger than my shoelace? Stronger than the butthair of a SilverBack gorilla?

    Instead of publishing comparable datas, each and every product gets praised to be ultimate. That makes me nuts!!

    Markus

  7. #6
    Elite Member DOAGuide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    11,018
    Blog Entries
    5
    Breathn has done some testing of both side by side. I'm not 100% sure of his findings so hopefully he will chime in.

  8. #7
    Addix Veteran cordini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Bismarck, ND
    Posts
    4,474
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    Just looked at the Brownell site and at the XS.

    Same thing here: The AstroFlight just underneath is promoted by being "20% stronger".......Stronger than what???!!! Stronger than my shoelace? Stronger than the butthair of a SilverBack gorilla?

    Instead of publishing comparable datas, each and every product gets praised to be ultimate. That makes me nuts!!

    Markus
    I will take your word on the strength of the latter.....I do understand your frustration!
    Muley Hunter....ND Badlands
    Hoyt Carbon 34/Carbon Spyder Turbo /Buffalo
    German Kinetics Broadhead Slinger
    First Lite ASAT

  9. #8
    Elite Member whack&stack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    15,768
    I can tell you 452 is on the roid cause it's proven to be strong and hold up.

  10. #9
    Addix Expert Breathn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    669
    I have tested all of these a lot...and my honest opionions..some may not agree with but i have put these on a load cell at 450-500pds for over 24hr periods to see how they react..and also done a lot of shooting with each..and right now i stock trophy, 452x and 8190 and no brownell materials..
    to me xs2 is a smaller astro fiber and main thing I and others have noticed is how easy it is to damage these fibers and cause fuzzing or broke strands..especially at cable slide..

    8190 really surprised me and still is everyday..although im waiting for some testing in high humidtys but so far its proving itself as far as durability and creep goes..i have it on 2 of my personal bows in wich i try and document stretch after every 2-300 shots and so far after over 1000 shots on one nothing has budged.

    452x imo is still the gold standard for all categories..but 8190 is on its tale but needs to be proven just a little more..

    I have no affiliation with any string material supplier and use what i think is best.

  11. #10
    Addix Legend enkriss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,959
    I been using xs2. Its been real stable and has not creeped at all.....no peep twist nothing. The only problem i am starting to see is a little fuzziness near the peep.....

  12. #11
    Addix Expert
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    748
    Quote Originally Posted by Breathn View Post
    I have tested all of these a lot...and my honest opionions..some may not agree with but i have put these on a load cell at 450-500pds for over 24hr periods to see how they react..and also done a lot of shooting with each..and right now i stock trophy, 452x and 8190 and no brownell materials..
    to me xs2 is a smaller astro fiber and main thing I and others have noticed is how easy it is to damage these fibers and cause fuzzing or broke strands..especially at cable slide..

    8190 really surprised me and still is everyday..although im waiting for some testing in high humidtys but so far its proving itself as far as durability and creep goes..i have it on 2 of my personal bows in wich i try and document stretch after every 2-300 shots and so far after over 1000 shots on one nothing has budged.

    452x imo is still the gold standard for all categories..but 8190 is on its tale but needs to be proven just a little more..

    I have no affiliation with any string material supplier and use what i think is best.
    Thank you. I deeply appreciate your input.

    Since the 8190 seems to be steady for over 1000 shots, which results came up by using 452x?

    Just want to find out why the manufacturers obviously feel the need to offer new string materials. Is there really a significant improvement we can benefit or is it just marketing?

    Markus
    Last edited by Markus; 05-18-2012 at 08:09 AM.

  13. #12
    Addix Veteran JPW77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    LA (Lower Alabama)
    Posts
    3,698
    I went with 8190 on my bow recently. I love it so far but I only have around 150 shots on it. I read everything I could find before making my choice and everything seemed to be positive. I live in hot and humid south Alabama so I will be sure to post up in the future if that causes any problems but I don't think that it will.
    HOYT MAXXIS 35

  14. #13
    Addix Member fourbarrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    central ill
    Posts
    186
    I have it on my vengance(8190) has not moved and doesnt fuzz,dont have to wax very often either.
    oldtimer39 likes this.
    Bowtech insanity scottie tuned

  15. #14
    Addix Legend mizzo 29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    new york
    Posts
    5,946
    my next set will be 8190 because i've heard positive things from a couple string builders. they have all said it impresses them.
    vengeance with richards binaries black and camo
    vindicator with badger cams all predator camo

  16. #15
    Addix Veteran Docmort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Columbus, GA
    Posts
    4,105
    Non string maker here but xs2 seems to be astro remanned and renamed.


    Tapatalk
    "We're not just going to shoot the $$$$$$$'s we're going to cut out their living guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks" Gen. Patton Team Whack 'Em & Stack 'Em Hunting Staff Arrow stick out

  17. #16
    Addix Veteran Archery John Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Delray Beach,Florida
    Posts
    4,457
    I sent a query to the guy whose strings I've been using the last few years,Brian Visco from Viscosity Strings. He basically turned his nose up at the new 8190 as a basic marketing tool to get more exposure. He didn't feel the new string would be able to appreciably out do the combo of a 452x and 8125 set of strings and cables. He said,for as of right now,he isn't moving off from what he is using because results are not drasic enough to do so. He felt the materials are one thing but that preparation and string making ability make a bigger difference then a new material. He has the latest in string stretching presses and his twisting in my book is second to no one.

    i'll stick with the combo of 452x and 8125 until someting happens to where it is yesterdays news. I dont feel from what I "hear" that 8190 is something that we should all scrap whats on our bows and restring with 8190. It might have an advantage or 2 and might have a detraction or 2. I am not any string maker and never shot the new 8190 but I was "interested" in trying it and was talked out by Brian. I'll send him another note about this stuff to see if he has changed his mind. After all we talked about it about a year ago.
    I pray for more Peta types,,,,,so there are more critters for me to arrow

    Don't Believe the HYPE

    NHNS4 FAN BOY CLUB

  18. #17
    Addix New-B notbulbous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Private Land, MA
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Archery John Blaze View Post
    I sent a query to the guy whose strings I've been using the last few years,Brian Visco from Viscosity Strings. He basically turned his nose up at the new 8190 as a basic marketing tool to get more exposure. He didn't feel the new string would be able to appreciably out do the combo of a 452x and 8125 set of strings and cables. He said,for as of right now,he isn't moving off from what he is using because results are not drasic enough to do so. He felt the materials are one thing but that preparation and string making ability make a bigger difference then a new material. He has the latest in string stretching presses and his twisting in my book is second to no one.

    i'll stick with the combo of 452x and 8125 until someting happens to where it is yesterdays news. I dont feel from what I "hear" that 8190 is something that we should all scrap whats on our bows and restring with 8190. It might have an advantage or 2 and might have a detraction or 2. I am not any string maker and never shot the new 8190 but I was "interested" in trying it and was talked out by Brian. I'll send him another note about this stuff to see if he has changed his mind. After all we talked about it about a year ago.
    Brian basically told me the same thing. They were using the 8190 around the shop and putting it through the paces and everyone is switching back. Some mentioned the 8190 being too silky...peeps and peep thread moving after some shots..
    I'm going to have Bri make me a set of his standard hunting strings 8125 w halo. 452x for cables.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    I use Archery Stuff
    I like Archery Things

  19. #18
    Addix Specialist
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    479
    Ive been using the 8190 on both my bows for a month or two now.
    I really like it alot! I wont be using nothing but 8190.
    I have yet to wax it and they look like new!
    Mine were built by Tim at TAZ Strings and he likes the material alot.
    Both my bows picked up 3fps compared to the factory strings on my 2012 Strother bows.
    I have shot thus far in temps in the low 40's to upper 80's and all is well.
    Hasnt been real humid yet, but Im not expecting any problems.

  20. #19
    Addix Expert
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    748
    Thanks to you all for your input.

    In the times I made strings myself, I mostly used Brownell S4. It took maybe ten shots to settle totally and didn't move from this point, no matter how good or bad the conditons were around.
    Only drawback was the short life span. Approx. 1500-2000 shots and whole string just broke in half without showing any sign of damage prior to the breakage.

    I will use 452X AND 8190, maybe also as a combination in one string. Until my string jigs are ready engineered and built, I will keep on looking for further information.

    Thanks again

    Markus

  21. #20
    Addix Veteran Spoiler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    4,013
    Not sure about string materials but one things is for sure I am hanging out to see Markus's string jig. :)
    Bow Tart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-11-2012, 03:38 PM
  2. 8190 Stretch In Heat
    By IHB? in forum Archery Equipment
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 09-06-2012, 10:06 PM
  3. tan/kiwi/natural 452X strings
    By Perry24 in forum Bows
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-02-2012, 10:16 AM
  4. Who Prefers Mechanicals over Fixed Blade Broadheads?
    By Timmyz7 in forum Archery Equipment
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-11-2012, 06:36 PM

Search tags for this page

452x or 8190
,

452x vs 8190

,
8190 bcy strings
,
8190 vs 452
,

8190 vs 452x

,
bcy 452x vs 8190
,
bcy 8125 vs bcy 452x
,

bcy 8190

,

bcy 8190 vs 452x

,
bcy fibers colors
,
bcyx or 8190 extreme
,
xs2 bowstring reviews
Click on a term to search for related topics.