Archery Addix banner

Scare of my life last night...

5K views 70 replies 25 participants last post by  TN Cereal Killa 
#1 ·
@ 1:58am my wife wakes me telling me that there is someone beating on our front door and window. Saying let me in, then started ringing the doorbell like an idiot. I go look out the window, he stands there throws his hands up and goes let me in MFER. Addix ain't going to lie, I had to take a step back and clear my thoughts. My kids in the house, my wife in the house, I went into this mode I have never been. I tell him you have you only have one warning get the (you know the rest) off my property. He tells me basically to F myself, I call the police and tell my wife to get in the room with my kids.

Now I do not own a gun, (that will change) but I have my handy dandy Hoyt! As I am on the phone with the operator she asks are there any weapons in the house normal questions, I tell her I have a bow. She says "like a hunting bow", in all of this I still crack a joke, I replied "no for my violin, yes a hunting bow" So the guy is steadily pounding on my window at this point I thought he was going to break the glass, kids screaming, the operator steadily doing a great job of keeping me calm. She tells me not to use my weapon, find a safe place and the police are on their way 2 min away.

Ultimately, police show up take the guy away. He was drunk looking for what they call a sober house. Scared the hell out of my family!

Here is my problem with the situation as a whole, cops did a great job. Operator did her job, but to tell someone to not use there weapon to protect his family? I don't get that. Grant it just a bow and a mean Louisville Slugger but still, I wasn't going to go and cower in the corner. Funny thing is I didn't know I had that in me.

Cop came to the door said "you handled the situation well" then said "I hear you have a bow", I told him don't worry I put it in my bedroom. He laughed and said "please, you have a right to protect yours. I too shoot bow what kind do you have"

So all ended well. But what a ridiculous night...

See less See more
#2 ·
That's some scary stuff. I'm sure she told you not to use it to prevent the whole situation escalating andgetting worse. If it would have been me and he would have actually entered the house I would have used it. Not sure how the rules in Texas are but I know in some states you can use any weapon on people that enter your property without permission.

#5 ·
That's a eye opener. My family kind of thought I was weird when I planned my gun cabinet into the master suite of the house. Im a lot more confident standing behind my shot gun at the door. If you so happen to shoot someone like enkriss said make sure you say in your statement that you felt theeatend for your family's and your life and the dirtbag said he was going to kill everyone. Up here in the land of bleeding hearts that statement means everything.
My bro in law is a cop. They know what needs to be said. Have fun buying a gun. Don't forget to teach your family how to use it also. You may not be there next time.

Pse

#8 ·
Dang, buddy! That's scary a heLL. Glad it turned out ok. I bet it was a rough night.

Guess we're going to have to start some "tactical archery" lessons now. Lol!

Reactions: Sevfamily
#13 ·
Funny thing is Austin City Police are allowed to eat in our Four Seasons Employee cafeteria. I saw a couple of the bike cops today and they already knew about it. Asked if the family was ok, confirmed this sober house BS. One of the perks working for a Hotel that takes care of Law Enforcement they take care of you.

didn't ask, I am set though for this season, was able to finagle my way into a farm in Bastrop, Texas. I have to pay and give discount on rooms but that's the cost of admission I guess. Still going to hunt that 10,000 acre high fence in December (don't worry I will not count it in the contest, before any panties get bunched up) :32:

#19 ·
That's why I have a 20 gauge pistol grip shotgun 18" barrel (shortest legal in NY) and a lot of shells. I had a crazy banging on my door once when I lived near the village I opened the window cocked a round in the barrel and warned that I was gonna shoot to kill and that was that. I think a 20 gauge short shotty is the best home defense. My reasoning is less penetration you don't have to worry about the shot travel but just far enough to make the kill.

#21 ·
I've been pretty lucky. I live out of town but lots of drunks sneaking home to the res. I was woke up one night and was going to get my rifle when I realized it was my sister in law lol. She needed a lift home and her friends dumped her off at our house. Pretty funny but I had the gun out before I realized lol.

Pse

#25 ·
stories like this is why I carry everyday and have taught my wife to shoot, we have even go through the "what if this happens" talks. basically she is to get kids in room with her and put them behind her while she is kneeling behind the bed with pistol pointed at the door/window and if that door opens and she doesn't here the police announcing that it's them or me announcing it's me then she is to shoot first ask questions later.

but I always have my xdm .45 on me or within reach at night, my wife always has her walther pk380 within reach, and an AR with 30 rounds ready or a 12 ga 870 with 7 round are with in 20 steps.

#29 ·
Glad your OK man, it's good it didn't escalate to where you had to make a decision, our laws make that decision harder over here, I have a bat down stairs and a pistol xbox in the bedroom, hope no one ever makes me decide lol

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take

#30 ·
Man, that does sound like a scary night. Glad it ended like it did. I've often wondered how I would react in a similar situation but hope I never have to find out. My wife and I both have guns in the top drawers of our nightstands in case somebody ever decides to try their luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.