Archery Addix banner

2012 ELEMENT custom string issue

11K views 50 replies 9 participants last post by  Archery John Blaze 
#1 ·
traded for a 12 element with the RKT cams.i had to go with #2 cams and new string/cables.. well the guy at the archery shop I go to had some issues installing I'm not sure whats going on...string builders fault....or guy at the shop? the directions that came with the strings mention that when installed they should have between 3/4" and 1/2" of measured twists per color... i hope with the pictures posted i can get advice!! also the picture of the cam you notice its not positioned correctly?, guy at shop said this is all he could get,
Wire Technology Tire Automotive tire Electrical supply
Tire Automotive tire Measuring instrument
Wire Technology Cable Electrical wiring

See less See more
#3 ·
ya it is a lot.. mark at the pro shop even said..any less and the bow barely makes 60#...its a 70#.. per what the directions say..."that when installed they should have between 3/4" and 1/2" of measured twists per color".. does that look like it in the picture to you?..

#15 ·
hmm..thats what I thought to... I got off the phone with the string builder.. he told me that "breathen"?? told him I will see lbs. loss by swapping cams (#3 to #2) and that I need the appropriate limbs (deflection?) for the #2 cams to get it back to 70lbs.. this is why I was only getting around 58lbs( before putting twist in the cables)

#18 ·
When you switch base cams, you have to change lengths of all strings and cables. By changing string lengths, your ata, and brace will slightly change, which needs to happen so you still use the same deflection limbs.

If you went from a number three cam to a number two, your new strings should be slightly shorter all the way around. Ata and brace will both be shorter as well. You are saying that your ata and brace are that short?

You should be at just over 31" ata and about 7/8" brace with the #2 base cam. With you being that short on ata and brace makes no sense. A short ata means the cables are to short. This should cause brace AND dw to actually go up. But in your case, it hasn't.

I wonder if your builder built you a set of strings to fit the #1 cam? This would cause ata to be short. String would also be short as well which might explain why your cam is not advanced like it should. Short stringing a bow cause the cam to retard and dw to drop.

Either way, those strings are twisted up too much, and are definitely not the right specs for that bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21 ·
I'm positive its a 70# bow.. I did some searching and what I came up with is when you switch from FUEL cams to RKT that's when you will see a poundage drop and may need to look in to limb (deflection) change to recop lbs. loss...so I called the string builder. He also talked to someone from X wolverine who also said the same..i might only loose a few pound from going from #3 cam to #2 RKT cams but not the amount breathen was saying... so we are thinking breathen was miss understanding the cam swap that I did.. the bow is a 12 and did come with RKT..i have no doubt..
I just think the strings are built incorrectly

#26 ·
So it sounds like your bow has been Frankened ? Just measured my RKT Element,,,31.5 Axle and 6 .75 inch brace. She has #2 cams and is a 2013. Your bow might have different length limbs than mine ? I am not sure. My limbs are about 13 inches long each,top and bottom. I would try to dig up a bonafide Hoyt or Franken Freak to help you with the cam exchanges. Jrogers seems to be a most knowledgeable Franken Freak on this site and he has toyed with Hoyts before. I know I've seen people over on AT in their dedicated Hoyt section do all sorts of Franken swaps.

I'd check to see what your limbs are length and deflection and how a cam change affects them.

Curious as to why you would swap out cams on just a high end bow ? Stock out of the box,they are hard to beat !!!

#30 ·
I had to swap cams for draw length...nothing has been "Franken bow" I took the #3 RKT (28"-30" DL) cam that the bow came with..and swapped for a #2 RKT cam (26"-28"DL)... so I had to get new string/cables because the #2 cams are smaller then the #3

#31 ·
I just got back from a pro shop they took almost all the twist out and the ATA wont go past 30"... we even measured the string/cables they are close to length of the book they have....they question if there books right.. lol. guess i'll wait for the other set of strings..(not from the same dude) to come

#34 ·
Well now I know your issue.

When you do a cam change on a Hoyt from a 3 to a 2 it cost more then just buying a new bow !!!

Why ?

When you change out those cams, you also HAVE to change out the limbs as well. The cams if you look at them are different in size. A 3 is much bigger than a 2. Hence going down in cam angle and roundness you lose draw weight.

So your answer to your problem is this. Put your #3 cams back on and shoot it @ 28 draw and deal with the mushy wall. Or call Hoyt and buy # 2 limbs 70 pounds along with your #2 cams and a string set that matches a #2 Element eccentrics.

Your string set that was given very well may be cut right. You won't know true specs until until the bow is matched properly.

There is your answer.

Sent from my iPhone
Revelation 1:5

#35 ·
Conflicting opinions. Just was talking to everyone's favorite K&K bow tuner, Shaun from Hardcore Archery. He's a Hoyt shooter for about 5-6 years and a multiple state champion.

He says contrary to what I just wrote and was told 3 years ago, that you CAN switch out cams from a 3 to a 2 WITHOUT changing limbs.

He says the key is in the strings being cut to spec. I would dismantle your bow, take the strings off and measure them up against the specs that were posted right above.

Reading them it looks like there is a 3/4 inch difference between these two cam set ups.

Sent from my iPhone
Revelation 1:5

#36 ·
yes that is correct archery john...you only need to change limbs if you change from FUEL cams TO RKT cams (#1,#2,#3) or any other cams that DID NOT come originally equipped ...lol this thread has become confusing..
1) changing the RKT cams amongst them self's (#1,#2,#3) has NOTHING to do with the draw weight....ONLY the Draw length...hence having to also change the appropriate cable/string with the corresponding cam being used

2)my problem is most likely the strings I had built NOT being built correctly.. I have already ordered a different set of string/cables from a different company..i'll keep everyone posted with the out come and the out come of the builder of the first set of strings..

#39 ·
Before you blast the string maker,,,,I wonder if he was given the proper directive ? Was the order for a RKT #2 Element ? Those you have are more than likely PERFECT for a #3...lol...Did you say ABB built them ? If so,,,,those guys know Hoyt well and I don't think they'd foul up the order.

In any event,,,you will be fixed up soon. The dude who downloaded the tune chart...Chenashot,,,is a TRUE archer helping other archers. My hats off to ya Chena

#41 ·
LOL seriously?...yes the string builder was give the correct information...change from #3 RKT cams to #2 RKT's on a 2012 element..he said he had the spec's for that and many bow......like I mention before the other cables are the right length...and no it couldn't be perfect for #3 cams...bigger cam longer string...already to short now..i didn't mention the builder ..another member brought up ABB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.