Archery Addix banner

Third Hand Archery Rag Bag New Twist.

17K views 72 replies 25 participants last post by  FOX FIRE 
#1 · (Edited)
I talked to Jim at Third Hand Archery and got the rag bag target split and burned from them. The goal was to make a range type target and not a hanging bag. I have been impressed with their products in the past and I was looking forward to trying this out with the roid.

Initial thoughts:
target facing material appears to be very tough as it is pretty stiff when you initially unfold it. It is much thicker than most bag target materials I have seen.

Construction:
Now this could be made bigger but I wanted to make a more portable version and I am planning to make a 36"x36" version with the animal target faces. Mine I made is 23" inside to inside across 26" tall inside to inside and 17" deep. All this was made with wood I had laying around. I added handles on the side just some rope and washers to keep knots from pulling through. Once the frame was built since I had no staples for the gun I used 1/2" screws with built in washer on the head to keep screw from going all the way through the material. This way is actually better than staples I think. I then stuffed it with old clothes and mattress padding and screwed the lid down on. I just have to tuck bottom of the bag around the base.

Testing:
Will perform testing In the next few days with the roid and do video review of it in use.

Pics in order it went together.
Furniture Wood Table Plywood Hardwood

Carpenter bee Ceiling

Wood Plywood Furniture Box Wood stain

Chair Furniture Tablecloth Table Textile

Gas

KOKEMO

See less See more
#20 ·
X2, Jim is a great guy to deal with, never used a product of his I didn't like...

Sent using Jedi Mind Trick via The Force...

#22 ·
ok fella's i shot the target tonight with the Roid. Here are my findings: (keep in mind i only took 6 shots into it during the review i will continue to update this over time on durability)

i started out by shooting the bag at 7-10 feet away. shot 3 shots into the target. target stopped the arrows very well. i did not punch the tip out the back as i did within my first 3 shots into the Morrell yellow jacket bag target. I had punched some of the filling out the back of the Yellow Jacket within the first 5 shots and started to make the target "balloon" visibly in the back within the first 25 shots. There is no visible movement in the target faces they are both still straight and not bulging at all at the back. I then shot the target from 15 yards again it stopped the arrows very well. the target rings are easily visible as it is black on white target face. Third Hand Archery claims 2 finger arrow removal. I had my 3.5yr old daughter pull the first 3 shots out. I then pulled the next 3 out with 2 fingers as they claim can be done. This is my first third hand archery target so I don't have 1000+ shots to report on but I will continue to update this as the shots pile up. Overall this target works as it claims. I am very pleased with the results from initial visual inspection of the target and shooting it initially. Look, this product is what it is, a large range type target that you can make very cheap. I will point out that I am in no way affiliated with Third Hand Archery and did this review for you the archer. If you are in the market for a new target this is worth a look in my book. Hope it helps someone out there that was trying to decide if they wanted to lay down the money for one.

#25 ·
Very nice write up and review Whack, I think you'll find that the bag will hold up very well over time, at least mine has...keep us updated

Sent using Jedi Mind Trick via The Force...

#27 ·
yeah ghost i expect it to hold up well over time. mine will be stored in the building so weather wont be a concern either. i have been impressed with third hand products so i expect nothing less than awesome out of it. it will for sure be getting shot over my morrell target. my biggest gripe with it (morrell) is that whatever they fill it with sticks to the arrows from the friction created during impact/stopping of the arrow. i get tired of razor blading it off and these for sure pull easier.

#29 ·
nope you got it spelled right. thank you on the name choice it was the wifes first choice. we call her Addi. she was mad i didnt let her shoot her pink barbie bow at the target during the review lol yeah its easy i literally have $25 in the whole target the wood was scrap laying around that i built the frame out of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.