2016 Model year Grades
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 103
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: 2016 Model year Grades

  1. #1
    Addix Legend Trial153's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Cap Region NY
    Posts
    5,407

    2016 Model year Grades

    As the new 2016 model year are being related by bow companies I thought it would be cool to grade and give impressions of what the company released.

    Let's lay some ground rules for the tread. I don't want to limit discussion in any way, however I do want to clearly have the grade posted for the release with your commentary about why you assigned the grade.

    So with that in mind your first post on here must contain a grade card for a company. It will look something like this.

    PSE B+, Seems like the released some no technology and product....ect ect ect.


    If you want to add your card, for example another company that your interested in makes a release. Please edit and add it to your FIRST post that contains your grade card. All your subsequent post in the thread can be general comments and discussions. Also your not obligated to grade every company, my suggestion is to grade the company's your interested in in some fashion. Maybe people's impressions and grade will cause some of us to think outside the box a bit in regards to the bows be shoot and consider.

    Most importantly keep it fun, and on topic! I don't care if you debate but keep personal crap out of it.

    Jimmy
    Bootlegger likes this.
    postbit here
    "A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”...........Paul Newman
    "It is good to have and end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.".. Ernst Hemingway
    "Happiness is a blood trail".......Me, Trial153


  2. ArcheryAddix.com is the premier Archery Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
     

  3. #2
    Addix Legend Trial153's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Cap Region NY
    Posts
    5,407

    2016 Model year Grades

    Grade card

    PSE B+
    I think their entrance in the carbon riser market is very well timed. The new bow they released really has some new Technology in regards to the carbon riser design. They also stayed on corse with their line buy having a huge amount of different models across the board. ( many too many) . They were fast in updating there website and getting information out about the 2016 line. All in all a solid offering.

    Hoyt F
    This release was disappointment. The discontinuation of the Nitrum arguably their most successful aluminum riser flag ship in along time After only one year rubs me the wrong way. I think it stinks for resale and leaves a lot of Hoyt owners high and dry that bought the bow last year. To add insult to injury the take the riser and water it down on a bow with less features rename it and brand it entry level.
    I don't like the looks of the replacement, the fact that a high dollar adaptor is needed for presses ....flat out sucks.
    Hoyts biggest weak point in my has been their camo finishes, they look terrible and washed out ..this hasn't been addressed in fact they picked a new washed out looking camo to go along with the trend.
    The fireworks and light show on Facebook was totally ridiculous and not befitting the biggest name in archery.
    The general consensus is the bows, both carbon and aluminum got heavier and slower. So a new model year upgrade will cost you not only performance but additional money if you have a press and work on your own bow.
    The new carbon bow is laughable in its ugliness, it looks like a cross between a pretzel and the PVC plumbing under your sink.
    The only bright spot I see was keeping the very popular carbon spyder.
    Website still isn't updated...24 later



    Elite B-

    The dealer packages of bows that were sent out to some dealers to coincide with their release of the 2016 was very well played. It got the information and bows out into people's hands fast.
    Keeping and improving the Energy series in its entirety was good move, people really like the platform they are built on.
    The new bows fill empty niches in their line up. People wanted more speed and they gave it to them. How shoot able the bows are remained to be seen.
    People were also asking about different camo, they did excellent in getting Kuiu...it will look great and people are sick of realtreal and sending bill Jordan and his family on hunts.
    They also semi addressed the grip issue. I like the original grip and shoot it well, however that is at the case with everyone. Some were really high on the victory grip.... So elites answer to that was to offer the victory grip on a few models. At first I was miffed that they didn't offer it across the board, however I since changed my mind on that. I think Machining two rises for each model is insane and production nightmare waiting to happen. They made the right call on this.
    The one issue that prevented me from giving a higher grade is something I don't think has been addressed. I think elites have become too heavy as bare bow. They are getting too clunky and base weights of 4.2- 4.5 are too heavy a starting point for many hunting situations. If they would have stream lined and trimmed a model down...I would have been a happy camper. Alas they haven't.
    Last edited by Trial153; 10-14-2015 at 09:37 AM.
    "A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”...........Paul Newman
    "It is good to have and end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.".. Ernst Hemingway
    "Happiness is a blood trail".......Me, Trial153

  4. #3
    Addix Prodigy enkriss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    7,602
    Lol...sht stirring thread.

    You have issues if you give elites release a b-. It's pathetic. Same boring crap year after year.

    I see you are a Hoyt hater. Atleast they made some significant changes to the lineup.



    pretty meaningless thread.

    Anyway

    hoyt B
    PSE C
    elite D-

  5. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryAddix.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Addix Legend Trial153's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Cap Region NY
    Posts
    5,407
    Most threads here are meaningless, however it's about making conversation.

    Enkiss Why did you rate PSE so low? Seams to me that of the three companies so far they were the only one to unveil any really new development in product and materials?
    "A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”...........Paul Newman
    "It is good to have and end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.".. Ernst Hemingway
    "Happiness is a blood trail".......Me, Trial153

  7. #5
    Elite Member killer midget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    10,128
    Hoyt c-
    PSE c
    Elite b

    I am disappointed in the big guys so far. But I realize that, after the last decade of improvements in archery design, progress is harder and harder to come by. But some companies seem to be backing up.......


    Good thread idea, Jimmy, regardless of what the spoons think....LOL
    Remember the Alamo!!!!

  8. #6
    Addix Prodigy enkriss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    7,602
    Quote Originally Posted by killer midget View Post
    Good thread idea, Jimmy, regardless of what the spoons think....LOL
    What is that supposed to mean????

  9. #7
    Addix Legend Archery John Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,316
    LOL

    Thanks Jimmy

    Well I see things a little different with Hoyt. Hoyt has always changed their metal bows. 2013 I believe it was, Hoyt introduced the Spyder Series of bows which were ALL METAL risers,and became Hoyt's all time leading selling bow EVER. The next year, Hoyt turned those Spyder series bows into Factor's and the Carbon Element was dropped in favor of a redesigned Carbon riser and called the Spyder.

    Everyone went ballistic,including me. how could Hoyt drop their most successful bow line and change it to a Factor, blah blah blah. Well that very same line was stopped and turned into the Nitrum,which became a even bigger seller. So the decreased in value thing because of name changing ? It's been a Hoyt staple. I do think the Nitrum riser might be a better riser than a Defiant because that bottom window bridge does help balance the bow while @ full draw allowing you to hold better,,,,IMHO.

    So for 2016, I see the Hoyt thing this way. They increased the hunting line by adding the Defiant in both carbon and metal and keeping the Spyder carbon riser. That's a plus always in having more choices.

    The bows new cam, just looking at the pictures, looks to be rounder than my Z cam. My Z cam is BUTTER smoothe, I'm thinking this cam might be smoother ? 331 FPS out of a 7 inch brace ? Knowing Hoyt is about -5 on their stated speeds usually, I'm figuring an IBO of 336 for a 7 inch brace bow that is butter smoothe ? That might be nice. I give another + here. However I want a 6 inch brace bow without a Turbo cam on it, so that's a -.

    The Hoyt configuration as was noted by the bow press attachment went to a preload limb configuration. To me it was BOUND to resemble somebody's look and to me it is Bowtech. So ofcourse a - there on account of originality, Bowtech to me are great, but a Bowtech is a Bowtech and I don't want a Hoyt to look like a Bowtech or a PSE or a Mathews.

    So on with this preload. I believe this Hoyt preload will result in a bow that will have less hand shock, not that Hoyt had anything bad in their current bows, but the carbon bows were less than the metal bows. The shorter limbs will have less limb travel and less vibration given off coupled with this rounder cam, I'm THINKING and I could be wrong, but these bows should be a breeze to shoot.

    The target shoot thru riser looks very Bowtech in limbs and riser limb bridge. In fact I wonder if the same people who make Bowtech limbs are making these Hoyt limbs,,,lol. But the top of the risers where they tie into the limbs look very Bowtech-ie.

    So for now, until I shoot the Hoyt Line I give a solid "B".

    PSE is doing a great job. The carbon bow that resembles the Hoyt Matrix's long lost brother is ugly as helllll but because they stepped out and did the undertaking to introduce a carbon bow, I give a + to.

    PSE has speed galore as per normal and that again is a +. they have probably the most diverse line up of bows in the world as normal so that is always a +. 5.25 brace albeit, still a hot number ! The Decree @ a 6.5 brace and 342 FPS to me is the PERFECT dimensions for a hunting bow ! ++ on this as normal. Dreamer bows have been the cat's meow for years perfect for me 6 inch brace and a screamin' 355 fps ? Can you say,,,are you SERIOUS PSE ? Who can top this ? +++ once again.

    My grade ? B+ to A- more on account of the Dream Season and Decree still being top dogs year after year, than the Carbon.

    Elite ? Nothing special ? To me the Impulse 31 and 34 are smoking fast bows and if they are Elite smoothe draws ? WOW ! That's a ++ but the solid limbs to me are a deduct -. Who are the people who say Elite doesn't have any speed now ? That's ripping screamin' fast,,,6 inch brace and 350 IBO. All you need right there !

    My grade on them is the same as PSE...."B+ to A-. Would have been a A+ if they did the split limb thing to combat the limb twist and cam lean that dog solid limbed bows.

    I don't know why Jimmy dislikes Hoyt so much, but as the saying goes, to each their own. Think Elite is making big progress that the Wall Street money is gotta be helping that. Please split those limbs up next year Elite !

    good stuff this year.
    Bootlegger likes this.

  10. #8
    Addix Prodigy enkriss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    7,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Trial153 View Post
    Most threads here are meaningless, however it's about making conversation.

    Enkiss Why did you rate PSE so low? Seams to me that of the three companies so far they were the only one to unveil any really new development in product and materials?
    The carbon air was the only bow they released? I didn't see any other hunting bows.

  11. #9
    Addix Legend Trial153's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Cap Region NY
    Posts
    5,407
    ABJ....Elites newest bows are around the 340 mark not 350.
    "A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”...........Paul Newman
    "It is good to have and end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.".. Ernst Hemingway
    "Happiness is a blood trail".......Me, Trial153

  12. #10
    Addix Legend Trial153's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Cap Region NY
    Posts
    5,407
    For the record I don't hate Hoyt. I dislike there release this year because it epitomizes change for no other reason the marketing. For example there is no mention of air shock removal ...why is that? Was there any mention in any of the media that new adapters will be needed to press the bows?

    In short Hoyt didn't add or fill any niches in the line up, they didn't say we need a speed offering ...or we need a more forgiving offering. All the did was scrap everything and say here is something new. Forget what we said last year.
    "A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”...........Paul Newman
    "It is good to have and end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.".. Ernst Hemingway
    "Happiness is a blood trail".......Me, Trial153

  13. #11
    Addix Legend Archery John Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,316
    Quote Originally Posted by Trial153 View Post
    ABJ....Elites newest bows are around the 340 mark not 350.
    Jimmy

    Found this and why I wrote what I wrote.




    Sent from my iPhone

  14. #12
    Addix Legend Trial153's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Cap Region NY
    Posts
    5,407
    Quote Originally Posted by Archery John Blaze View Post
    Jimmy

    Found this and why I wrote what I wrote.




    Sent from my iPhone
    Yea that's for anyone will ape arms.....lol 31 inches
    "A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”...........Paul Newman
    "It is good to have and end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.".. Ernst Hemingway
    "Happiness is a blood trail".......Me, Trial153

  15. #13
    Addix Legend Archery John Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,316
    Quote Originally Posted by Trial153 View Post
    Yea that's for anyone will ape arms.....lol 31 inches
    Enkriss is 6'7" isn't he ? Aren't you a giant too ? 31 inch draw is for the big boys and 350 isn't anything to sneeze @. Just the same, a normal IBO is 340. That's plenty fast with a 6 inch brace and from what I hear, Elite hits speeds unlike a lot of the old school mentality bow companies/people that exaggerate.

    That 34 is a nice bow. Nick should be buying one in Snow Camo.

  16. #14
    Addix Legend Trial153's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Cap Region NY
    Posts
    5,407
    The two companies that I am really looking forward to seeing what they put out is Xpedition and New Breed.
    "A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”...........Paul Newman
    "It is good to have and end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.".. Ernst Hemingway
    "Happiness is a blood trail".......Me, Trial153

  17. #15
    Addix Legend Archery John Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,316
    Seems the theme appears to be companies that use a hybrid, putting some limb stops on them. I think PSE was the first to do this ? I'm going to experiement with the Hoyt Carbon and the limb stop for sure, but I think after shooting the Obsession and having Richards Extreme convertible bow that the limb stop is not as comfortable to me as a string stop. Maybe a hybrid is different ?

    I'm curious for Bowtech and Mathews. Mathews No Cam is the highest on my list to buy because of that nock travel video I saw.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. 2016 Model Intro's
    By Archery John Blaze in forum General Boards
    Replies: 298
    Last Post: 11-17-2015, 05:17 PM
  2. Hoyt for 2016
    By Archery John Blaze in forum Bows
    Replies: 136
    Last Post: 10-16-2015, 07:27 AM
  3. South Dakota 2016
    By Trial153 in forum Hunting Section
    Replies: 220
    Last Post: 10-05-2015, 07:53 PM
  4. Hoyt 2016 carbon bows
    By tsm213 in forum Bows
    Replies: 142
    Last Post: 09-25-2015, 05:52 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-01-2014, 11:00 AM

Search tags for this page

2016 antigen bow
,

hoyt bow models by year

,
string material on 2016 xpeditions
Click on a term to search for related topics.