Hand held release differences

Thread: Hand held release differences

Addix New-B

Hand held release differences

I have been trying to find exactly how the different hand releases are activated. By this I mean what is the hand action that causes them to release?
    Thumb, hinge, back tension, resistance (carter).
    I know with the wrist releases, you pull the trigger and want to understand what makes the hand helds go off.

Thanks for any help.
    postbit here

2. ArcheryAddix.com is the premier Archery Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

There sooooo many variations. I have a Carter wrist release that is a proper back tension release. I forget the name of it. Will dig it out when I get home.

I also have the Scott Longhorn Hexx which is a wrist release that uses a Hinge.

Never seen a Thumb release that has a wrist version. Not to say they do not exist just never seen one yet.

What info are you chasing? Do you want to know mechanically how they work or what the action is to get them to release?
    Bow Tart

Addix New-B
    I want to know what the action is to get them to release. Such as do you rotate the release or just pull harder etc. I believe with the thumb type, your thumb actually pulls on the trigger/thumb rest but you don't use your thumb to do the actual triggering but use the way you pull with your back muscles to put the pressure from your thumb on it.
    With a hinge, do you rotate the actual release with your fingers by using the back muscles or relaxing the fingers?
    I suppose I want to know what does your hand do with each type.

5. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryAddix.com
    Advertisements

I've never shot a hinge, but theoretically all releases should be triggered by back tension. What I mean is, to maintain a surprise shot sequence, you are squeezing the back muscles together get the release to trigger itself and release the string. You should be able to do this with an index, thumb or hinge style of release.....The issue is that too many index releases are set up with a light trigger pull so that the shooter ends up squeezing it with the finger instead of the back, somewhat like shooting a gun. That is probably why trigger releases are more popular.....Most people do not shoot them with back tension. The thumb trigger (which I shoot) can be activated like a index trigger release by pulling back on the barrel with your thumb and also not squeezing the back muscles. However, if you are trying to make a transition into the world of back tension, the thumb release can really help you down the path. I set the tension of my release very heavy, so that I can set my thumb in place after I have anchored and begin the final phase of releasing the arrow with my back. I will let those who dabble with the hinge release answer the final aspect of your inquiry, but my belief would be that the trigger sequence is all completed after anchoring and engaging the back muscles. Your hand is set in-place and just along for the ride, just like a thumb release, and does whatever you are seeing on the release based upon the squeezing of your back muscles. I don't know if my explanation helps or not.....I'm sure others will chime in.
    Muley Hunter....ND Badlands
    Hoyt Carbon 34/Carbon Spyder Turbo /Buffalo
    German Kinetics Broadhead Slinger
    First Lite ASAT

Addix New-B
    Thanks Cordini. I am starting to get the picture but still do not understand what the hand is doing during the back tension phase, particularly what it is doing different with the different releases.
    I like the wrist style I am using now and I do pull the trigger similar to firing a rifle. I do not have access to any hand helds to try and even the shops around do not stock that many and I am not sure if they are very agreeable to me trying new releases without any experience using them. There seems to be so many available and they are not cheap either.
    I will also admit to doing a lot of research before trying something and wanting to know a lot of the details.

Check the classified here and on AT. I just got a long horn hex and am now setting up a Perry's no peep apo then gonna head out and try them both out for the first time.
    vengeance with richards binaries black and camo
    vindicator with badger cams all predator camo

This is the Longhorn Hex

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394370419.429667.jpg

It is a Wrist style hinge release. It is like having a massive trigger really. That is you can pull on this with you back muscles till they cramp and it will not go off till you close your hand on the two finger grip part. Once you take the click off you really do not know when this will go off.
    Bow Tart

This is the Carter Squeeze Me that I mentioned in an earlier post.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394371223.824417.jpg

This is a true back tension release in my mind cause it goes off by pulling through the shot. It will not go off till you squeeze the trigger but it does not go off till the back tension reaches a pre set poundage. So for this to go off you have to be both squeezing the trigger and pulling the pre set amount of poundage.
    Bow Tart

This is a hand thumb release.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394371488.448778.jpg

It goes off by squeezing the thumb peg. So still has a trigger just that it is activated with your thumb.
    Bow Tart

Quote Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
    This is the Longhorn Hex

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394370419.429667.jpg

It is a Wrist style hinge release. It is like having a massive trigger really. That is you can pull on this with you back muscles till they cramp and it will not go off till you close your hand on the two finger grip part. Once you take the click off you really do not know when this will go off.
    I just shot his release for the first time and so far I like it. It took a little getting used to but i think I'm really gonna like it. It made me squeeze smoothly and focus on aiming. Also installed the pnp apo so i wasn't dialed in but I believe that is really gonna work out as well.
    vengeance with richards binaries black and camo
    vindicator with badger cams all predator camo

Addix New-B
    Well I am getting a better understanding of the differences. As I see it, hinge you rotate the release, thumb gets triggered by thumb pressure and resistance (Carter and maybe others) activate after anchoring and goes off after pulling past set weight.
    The carter resistance, to me, is true back tension as the others need hand movement of some sort. In reality this might be a moot point as the amount of movement or action might well be a natural action when the back muscles are being used to do the pulling.
    I think if I do end up getting one I will seriously look at the Carter Attraction as it can be set up for thumb trigger or resistance so I can try both with the one release.

Links