POI and the type of release? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: POI and the type of release?

I'm the same way if i shoot a thumb release I hit 6" left of where my single caliper wrist release hits. I thought it was just me.

I've always used a peep and haven't tried a no peep rig.
    postbit here
    Athens archery and 60x strings

2. ArcheryAddix.com is the premier Archery Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

2xR
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazeproc View Post
    move your sight bezel over I full inch. That will drastically move the POI at 30 yrds. The same works with your head which moves line of sight which moves the bow. A little on one end can move alot on the other.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    I get that - but won't that just mean that my POI will move right when I switch releases again???

I want to understand why Nick and apparently others, can change the type of release and not affect POI??? Maybe DL has something to do with it? The shorter the DL, the less drastic the change in hand position and therefore anchor point, and therefore head position is???

Facta, non verba!

Team Whack'Em & Stack'Em, Chief - Likes No Hump

Quote Originally Posted by 2xR View Post
    I get that - but won't that just mean that my POI will move right when I switch releases again???

I want to understand why Nick and apparently others, can change the type of release and not affect POI??? Maybe DL has something to do with it? The shorter the DL, the less drastic the change in hand position and therefore anchor point, and therefore head position is???
    I didn't really mean move the bezel. That was the example.
    Video yourself shooting both releases and you will see pretty quickly the head movement.
    My 3d buddies tell me all the time that I hammer my thumb release. Didnt believe them because I thought I was smooth. Well freinds and video didn't lie. Now I'm working that out....haha

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    2011 Omen Pro
    2010 Monster 7
    TEAM 2....THE EXECUTIONERS
    JOHNS CUSTOMS(aka Breathn)
    Team Whack 'Em & Stack 'Em Hunting Staff..... "One With Fire"

5. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryAddix.com
    Advertisements

Switching between the 2 styles can cause a slight anchor change which leads to a POI change... Also with the hand held you might be rotating the d loop a little more which can cause a POI change as well... I've always had a slight POI change when switching back and forth as well.

sent via a poo flinging monkey!!!
    I LUV FRANCIS!!!!!!
    John's Customs ProStaff
    Black Gold Sights ProStaff

Addix Legend Archery John Blaze's Avatar
    As an experiment to try to calm down the target panic i've been fighting the last 12 years,,,i know,,,geeeeez,I bought a Tru-Fire thumb release,not a back tension,,,yet. Eventually i'm going to do the back tension for awhile but i wanted to see how one of these worked instead of my conventional wrist caliper releases I use,Scott Caliper,and a True-ball.

Well when I came to full draw,,,I couldn't even find my peep much less my tied on kisser. I mean I was a WRECK. It felt better at full draw like I had a more comfortable full draw anchor and I could hold longer,but my peep was outta space. Weird. Eventually I muscled my mug in while at full draw to reach my kisser and peep to make the shot. But if I were to use this thing,my peep would have to moved much higher up on the string. I take this is because of the extra length of the wrist release over the thumb release. But I see an advantage with the thumb release when you are being mind F-'ed into target panic by your own head. It's amazing how target panic is 100% mental !!! and yet,alot of us can't kick it.

Like we used to say when lifting heavy weights, "it's mind over matter",if you don't mind it don't matter.

2xR
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Daddy View Post
    Switching between the 2 styles can cause a slight anchor change which leads to a POI change... Also with the hand held you might be rotating the d loop a little more which can cause a POI change as well... I've always had a slight POI change when switching back and forth as well.

sent via a poo flinging monkey!!!
    Makes sense - I can validate however, that I do not rotate my hand with the handheld! I was fortunate to have learned that watching others shoot a handheld with their new bows before i ever tried a handheld.

They were trying to tune the new reata on their new bows amd shooting through paper. The tech at the shop was shooting bullet hole after bullet hole but the two guys with new bows weren't. Finally, after changing one thing after another, we discovered that it was their releases and them rotating their hand to get to anchor - like most handheld shooters do - so that the back of their palm is against their face/cheek.

One of them went back to shooting a wrist strap caliper release, like the shop tech, and the other one had the tech lengthen his d-loop and drop 1 size on his DL module from 29.5 to 29.

Facta, non verba!

Team Whack'Em & Stack'Em, Chief - Likes No Hump

My d-loop is about 3/4 inch long and I use BCY #2 material because it is more flexible than other d-loop material I have tried. When using stiffer d-loop material, I have notice a POI change. Also, I do rotate my hand at full draw. These are the kinds of things you have to keep any eye on if you plan of switching from wrist strap releases to a thumb release. I am not sure if this still holds true if you use a handheld with a rotating head though.
    Darton Pro 3800

Just curious does anyone know why folks rotate their hands so the back of their palms are against their cheek? Is their disadvantage to not rotating it? I ask because not rotating it as 2xR mentions in his post seems to be more natural for me and I can maintain the same anchor point as my caliper release (I keep it very short).

I use the Tru-ball because the head rotates and have no/less loop twist. Changing between the diff release's does not effect L/R, but, I do have a verticle change with my peep...I have a Sure Loc Leathal Weapon w/ Retinal lock on order to try...

Quote Originally Posted by DeanoZ View Post
    Just curious does anyone know why folks rotate their hands so the back of their palms are against their cheek? Is their disadvantage to not rotating it? I ask because not rotating it as 2xR mentions in his post seems to be more natural for me and I can maintain the same anchor point as my caliper release (I keep it very short).
    I anchor at the tip of my jawbone. If I didn't rotate my hand, my thumb barrel will be in contact with my jaw and can go off inadvertantly. By rotating, I can control the release with my thumb or with backtension at my discretion.
    Darton Pro 3800

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links