learning to shoot consistant - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: learning to shoot consistant

a lot of good points made so far. I think I might be shooting too much working on mids shift, 50 before work and 50 after every day.... 60 this mornin just repeating shot sequence. best shots I had were while I was checking out a frayed strand on my cable going through the slide and not really paying attention to the shots, just waxed it and cased it for the day.
    postbit here
    Team Whack 'Em & Stack 'Em Hunting Staff
    Double Dinero
    PSE VengePro XS B.A.D.

2. ArcheryAddix.com is the premier Archery Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Addix Member
    I try to get some in every day or at least every other day, mostly working on muscle memory to get the same pull every time so it doesn't shoot off when the thumb trigger hits my jaw. Also upping my pull a little here and there, 14-21 shots a session since I have 7 arrows.

I wasn't consistent until I started shooting back tension......it took awhile but was worth it in the end. I can now shoot my Carter quickie 2 with BT and get a surprise release. Groups are better than ever!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    cordini likes this.
    E32
    Breathn Strings

5. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryAddix.com
    Advertisements

put the bow away for the week then took it out after work thismornin. don't know how I had it so far out but was grouping 6" high 6" right lol, moved sight 3x and listened to the sound of carbon slapping for the rest of the session. i'm gonna try a tension release when I get the chance just nervous about it letting go and taking another punch to the face over a release.
    Double Dinero
    PSE VengePro XS B.A.D.

Quote Originally Posted by double dinero View Post
    put the bow away for the week then took it out after work thismornin. don't know how I had it so far out but was grouping 6" high 6" right lol, moved sight 3x and listened to the sound of carbon slapping for the rest of the session. i'm gonna try a tension release when I get the chance just nervous about it letting go and taking another punch to the face over a release.
    Anchor point changing on you? Rest get bumped.
    Mr. DILLIGAF

I always make sure my first 3 arrows are absolutely perfect and where I want them. I use the other time shooting and building my muscles up incase i have to hold for a longer time. And then at the end, I gather myself and execute 1 perfect shot. Maybe don't shoot like 5 arrow groups. I think I will start shooting a 3 arrow group tops. I used to shoot 1 arrow, get it and then shoot again. This way I am not just shooting so fast. It helped me.

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk 🎯 🇺🇸

Addix Member
    I didn't read all the post, so I apologize if I'm reposting prior info...

The one most important key to archery is and always will be, proper draw length!
    And how close do you have to be? My opinion is within 1/32nd of an inch!! But I look at things differently for competition...

For the average bowhunter to see a difference, I'd say 1/4inch... When your draw length is in that sweet spot (within 1/4 inch) you can aim steadier, longer.. You
    can pull thru the shot or slowly squeeze the release... So many things go right when you can aim easily.. Don't be afraid to experiment with draw length setting.. or Dloop setting also.....

Think of a bow like a race car, the driver who qualifies fastest has the setup perfect... Same with a bow, if the draw length is perfect, you got 90% of the battle won!
    Bart Shortall
    National Sales Manager 60X Custom Strings

Quote Originally Posted by 12RingKing View Post
    Anchor point changing on you? Rest get bumped.
    I believe my problem was the result of a comment made by a local shop owner. while shooting a couple practise rounds 1/2 time at a 3d shoot I was drilling 30, 40, but 20 was a mess for a few shots. he was watching and told me to put the string on my nose, so by doing that witch i've never done it just all fell apart piece by piece. I was hunting for a problem that didn't exist changing my form constantly trying to get this string on the nose thing. today I started over and just shot how I felt comfortable, didn't really think about form, grip, anchor ect... for me consistant seems to be shoot without thinking if that makes any sense.
    Double Dinero
    PSE VengePro XS B.A.D.

It makes perfect sense....I'm just opposite of you. I have to touch my nose to the string. But as long as you get to your anchor your good.

I could settle for having the string I the corner of my mouth, but I like to touch my nose.....looks like you figured out the issue!
    Mr. DILLIGAF

I usually shoot about 20 shots every 2-3 days. A lot of the post above are great info. Thanks!

Hoyt Carbon Spyder ZT 30, Hoyt Faktor 30
    , Truglo Rival FX Sight, Truglo Carbon XS Quiver, QAD HDX Rest, Bee Stinger Sport Hunter Extreme Stabilizer
    Swhacker Broadheads
    Bowstring Depot Field Staff

Addix Member
    Try a Scott Longhorn Hex, it is a back tension training aid/release.

KandK Vindicator
    Maitland Kinetic here, waiting for new Breathn threads : )
    Spothogg Hogg It
    Truball
    Used all my sick days Hunting and Fishing....So I called in Dead

this past week shooting has fell apart horribly and I believe it's time to re-train AGAIN starting with the basics. I tend to have to do this every year or two, it just seems to be part of an archery rollercoaster for me. so some Q&A may be a good place to start.
    first: am I the only one that this happens to?
    2: what is the first piece of advice you would give a new archer?
    3: what shot sequence works for you (mental checklist)?
    4: kicking bad habits (tips)
    5: getting better, when your good to go what do you do to tighten groups?
    I didn't read what everyone else said so far. I just looked over them quick. And a lot of it is all good advice.
    1: Of course you're not the only one. Every archer has a slump day or even week sometimes.
    2: Make sure you're having fun first off. This isn't a job for you. But, If you want to be really really good. You have to practice, practice, practice! I know some guys on here said its bad to shoot every day. I think that completely false. Coming from a lot of professionals, Practice every day! Fred Bear shot his bow every single day. You don't even have to shoot a lot. Even one arrow a day. That way you have to make it count.
    3:Anchor point, hand placement, ( if your hand doesn't feel right or you shoulder feels different on that draw you just did. Let Down! its not worth the shot.) make sure I'm level, and last take a deep breath and slowly let half of it out. Then shoot. That's when you will be your most steady.
    4:Practice, practice, practice. And play your mental checklist over and over again.
    5:When you first start shooting, Start from a far distance. 50-70 yards. Then slowly work your way in. Your closer shots will start getting tighter and tighter over time. Good Luck bud!!!
    "You can learn more about hunting deer with a bow and arrow in a week than a gun hunter will learn in his entire life" -Fred Bear-

get out to the range and take a video camera on a tripod. Analyze your form for each shot

Addix New-B
    Is it good a idea to use bow jax on your bow

Addix New-B
    Hi I'm new to the site I use to hunt about 30 yrs ago with a plain crossbow well I have decided to get back to it and I just bought a used Barnett Jackal crossbow with a Barnett Crossbow red dot sight. Which I have never used before can anyone help me to be able to get it sighted in and such and tell me the basics in learning to use this type of crossbow. I just want to say I'm a veteran and not some idiot that is going to go in the woods and shoot the very first thing I see move. I would really appreciate any and all advice that any of you can give me. Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links