Archery Addix banner

30.06 Rifle Scope Upgrade

4K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  Speeddemon87 
#1 ·
Havent needed a scope that shoots over 50 yards where i use to hunt so optics on it were never a concern. The new property I could have the ability to shoot several hundred yards if need be. (May be upgrading weapons as well but thats for another day).
Whats out there that I should look into and what power would suit me best. I dont gun hunt much but use it if ya got it.
I get fairly decent prices on optics so fill me in.

#2 ·
Here's what I like as far as specs:

3 x 12 x 50 with 30ml tube
Second focal plane

I like this set up as an all around sight for short and 500 plus yard shooting. I favor Zeiss Victory for scopes but many good brands out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#3 ·
The only Ziess ive had a chance to look at so far was the Terra 4x12x50. 382$
In reality im probably looking at 350yrd max.
Just wondering as a gun upgrade is possible too lol. Although the A bolt was my grandpa's and its not failed me yet.

#6 ·
I am a Swarovski fan. They have served me well for a lot of years. (probably since before you were even born Nick!)

I like the 3X12X50 range but there are so many variables that could change that.

As to caliber............ I'm a .300 fan. Either of the Winchesters (mag or WSM) both have served me well.

#8 ·
Here are a couple specifics.

Leupold VX3. 2.8- 8 36mm
Zeiss conquest HD 3.5-15 x42

#9 ·
Vortex viper 4 to 12 with the mil dot style reticle. Decent price and very clear. Works good on my 7 mag. I'm sure there are nicer ones but for the price its excellent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
For the Monet and great scope I like the Zeiss conquest and if I'm going with a $1000 scope its a Leopold scope.

If you have a $1000 gun and put a $300 dolla scope on it you now have a $300 dollar gun and scope. I was like you here in Mich no need to ever shoot over 75 yards where I hunt but started going out west and west Virginia so needed a better scope for my 7 mag and Savage 308.

#11 ·
What do you think this is the Army, where you shoot 'em a mile away? You've gotta get up close like this and - bada-BING! - you blow their brains all over your nice Ivy League suit!!

#14 ·
I run Vortex now, they have replaced all my nikons and some leupolds. I just threw a 2.5-10x32 PST FFP on a AR15 build and run the 4-16x50 SFP on hunting rifles. Going to throw a FFP 4-16x50 on an upcoming 6mm or 6.5mm build. I have buddies that run the more economic Viper line and they are very good also.

#17 ·
I have an el cheapo vortex crossfire on my .17 and 25-06. They're actually pretty nice scopes.
If we're spending your money get a Remington sendero 300 RUM with a razor 5-20x50

this has been my go to hunting rifle for quite a few years now, I run a PST 4-16 rather than a razor on mine however.

#16 ·
Couple ways to go nick. I like my zeisss conquests. For money and clarity can't beat them. 3-9 vs 3-10 the price variance isn't worth it. 4-12 gets pricey too.

Leupold vxiii is the only leupold I'd own

BUT as cheap as this may sound you need to get your hands on the new weaver scopes. They are cheaper than what I just named but ill
Put 100$ on it saying it's as clear or more clear than leupold. For less money.

Far as tube size. I have never owned over a 40mm. I like keeping my scopes closer to the gun. Makes them
Harder to knock off and protects them better. You buy a good 40mm scope you won't need a 50mm to pull more light to see better

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.