Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
7,814 Posts
Says the kid to Henry

·
Super Moderator
20,509 Posts
She has the making of a future rink rat right there. I know I coach my one sons team and his older brother is on a travel team, we are full time rink rats to say the least.
I dont envy you. I played AA and AAA when i was younger. We lived at the rink.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I hear ya, My older boy is trying out for the AA team here in a few weeks and my 6 yrs. old who has been playing with his brother and all his teammates and has learned a lot from the pond LOL. Everyone is trying to get me to push him up to the squirts next year.

What do you think? that means he will be playing two years ahead, Yes he skates very very well and is a big kid unlike his brother but if he skates squirt house he will be out there with 10 yr olds LOL.

AAA huh, you had skills Nick!!! Love it! I still cant give it up, I still play 2-3 times a week just cause I'm fat though.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Good to hear from some other hockey parents. I've only got one in right now. He's 9 and loves the game so far. He never started till he was 6 so he's doing good considering.

He played up with the tier 1 team a couple weeks ago and got the "sniper of the game"
stick.

He was pumped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I listened to Mike Babcock a couple months ago on the radio up here. He said all you can do is teach your kid to skate and love the game. If they want to play AA or AAA they will do it themselves.
There's a lot of parents up here that ruin it for there kids up here.
If your boy wants to play up I say go for it. But if it's also a big social jump to. The stuff off the ice affects them a lot at that age.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I hear you , I am not a parent or a coach to push my kid to the limit, I leave it completely up to them. That being said being only 6 he doesn't completely understand everything so he is technically supposed to be in cross ice this year where he started in September.
He figured out real quick that he was bored so I bummed him to mites. I'm just afraid if I left him in mites next year again, he would be the hotshot and score at will, and I do not want to be that parent! and you guys know what I am talking about LOL.
I always tell other parents of some of my kids to move them up to a full sheet if they have the skill.

Great point on the off the ice aspect, big difference between a 7 and 10 yr old.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
My boy never played half ice. It is hard to learn the game there. Especially if he can skate. Tell him he has to skated around the world twice and pass to 2 other kids before he can score. Make a game within a game for him to keep him happy.
It is nice to see them play up and do well also. I'm sure you don't really need any advice sounds like you have a handle on it. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
great seeing all the kids involved! my son is getting his first set of skates this coming year! starting him out young.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I listened to Mike Babcock a couple months ago on the radio up here. He said all you can do is teach your kid to skate and love the game. If they want to play AA or AAA they will do it themselves.
There's a lot of parents up here that ruin it for there kids up here.
If your boy wants to play up I say go for it. But if it's also a big social jump to. The stuff off the ice affects them a lot at that age.
This right here is the truest thing I have ever read. The politics along with pressure of the coaches and parents ruin the drive of the kids who have not matured mentally. I have witnessed it more than once and I am trying to help a kid right now (nephew) who is truly talented get his confidence where it should be. He plays AA and he is 11 and has always been the star of the team until he stepped up to AA where he still has better skating fundamentals but is lacking the confidence as everybody is better in this league then previous he realized really quick what he could get away with in "A" is no longer an option. He is a defenseman and his team just won districts and is going to nationals. (Great final game.. 0-2 with a 1:49 left in the third and came back and tied it went short handed for the final 37 seconds and scored for the win)

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Another funny thing is the trash talking game on the ice. Some kids can really give it out and most can't give it back it really screws up some kids at that age. Pretty funny stuff some times.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Another funny thing is the trash talking game on the ice. Some kids can really give it out and most can't give it back it really screws up some kids at that age. Pretty funny stuff some times.
I don't think our team has a problem with trash talk... LMAO everybody dishes it out.. I think were known as "That team"

1 - 20 of 757 Posts