Archery Addix banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Little brother is trying to build a decent rifle for under 750 is it possible? What do you recommend? Full rifle or just build one?

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How bout a factory one what you seeing he says 800 Max bare rifle

·
Registered
879 Posts
Is he stuck on the AR platform? We have built a few AK platform guns for quite a bit cheaper than that and they run great. I loved my 5.45x39 saiga, and my .308 saiga. The only one I have left now is a Romanian wasr10, but It doesn't have optics so its only about a 100 yd gun right now.

·
Super Moderator
756 Posts
Dpms oracle kits are a cheap way to get started...and you can get a loaded poly lower for $139. Yes its poly but I've built four of them now and they hold up fine, and the trigger is pretty crisp.

thank a US Soldier, Sailor, Airman, or Marine - freedom isn't free.

·
Super Moderator
756 Posts
Chad, AK's are for t-heads, didn't you know that?

·
Super Moderator
756 Posts
Doc, check out American tactical imports...they have the poly lowers that i use and the loaded lowers come with grip, trigger group, and your choice of of A2 standard or M4 six position stocks. That price includes buffer tube and spring, so all you need is an upper, mags and ammo.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Check out some of the deals on GunsAmerica.com If you have an FFL Dealer that will accept the shipment (for a fee) you can find some good deals on a bare AR.....Otherwise, you can pick up parts there and build your own. TTNuge (Trent) is an AR building hound.....See what he recommends for the price you're looking at.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Polymer hold up in cold weather?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Del-ton.com. The M&P is the best also for less than 8

From a tree stand with a Droid. Its bow time.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Between him and my dad they have 4 m&p

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The most reliable ever made ill give you that

·
Super Moderator
756 Posts
Chad, how would you know that being in the NAVY and all! Wait...do rescue swimmers carry assault rifles now? Lol...just kidding...I'll save you the return insulate: we boarded with shotguns, so i wouldnt know either!

·
Super Moderator
756 Posts
I'm told the poly lowers were made for cold weather, but I doubt that's really the reason. I'll let you know how they hold up in the cold after I kill some yotes this Feb.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I carry the old mk18 every now and then if need be, but for all intents and purposes I just like to play the role of realist lol. The all platform is more fun to shoot, cheaper, more reliable, and if you are running it in 5.45x39 or 7.62nato has just as much range with more nock down.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I've put together 4 lowers myself, have bought several "complete" guns and mixed and matched many of those. Currently the only ones left that I own I've put together myself, at least when it comes to lowers. When you start talking about putting uppers together it gets a bit more difficult as you have to worry about proper head space and honestly it requires a bit more knowledge and specialized tools that lowers don't.

I will be upfront and say I've never used a poly lower, never held one or looked at one, and honestly don't really care to. If you want one then go for it, if you are happy with yours then that's great, they just aren't for me. Just don't do it because of cost alone. You can put together a traditional metal lower for close to the same amount of money if you keep an eye out. There are plenty of deals that show up on ar15.com, the really great deals often disappear within minutes or hours. If you keep an eye out you can find a lower for ~$110, add ~$40-60 to finish it off with a lower parts kit and buffer tube/stock and you are good to go. Don't be afraid of assembly, I put my first one together by myself with only the help of the forums and a YouTube video I believe. Doesn't require any special tools and gives you the satisfaction of doing it yourself. It's really hard to screw up.

I wish my photo site wasn't blocked at work but many pics of things I've done can be found here.... Firearms | TNEUTGENS | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy. If you or anyone has any questions please let me know. I appreciate this thread because it made me realize I need to pick up another LPK (lower parts kit) soon as I got in on a great deal for a lower at just over $100. Can never have too many. It's a slippery slope. If you value your pocket book stay away from sites like AR!5.com, Larue Tactical, MagPul, Spikes, etc. And be sure to hide the receipts from the wife!

So let's say you put $200 into your lower, it's together and fully functioning. The great thing now is that you can shop for the upper just about anywhere. Since the lower has the serial number and is the registered part you can mail-order an upper and have it shipped to your house without having to worry about using an FFL. And even better, you can have multiple uppers in multiple calibers that all just pop right on to your lower with the push of a pin. And going by his dollar limit you can easily find a decent upper for around $550. More often than not $600 is a more "standard" price but there are deals to be had and found at less than that.

*NOTE* There may be a little post-election price inflation going on right now as well. LPK and stock/buffer kit prices are a bit higher than I used to pay. Might have to add $25-50 on to my lower price estimation.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Dpms oracle kits are a cheap way to get started...and you can get a loaded poly lower for $139. Yes its poly but I've built four of them now and they hold up fine, and the trigger is pretty crisp.

Fully loaded with LPK and stock/buffer tube that $139 price would make it a bit harder to resist. That's one heck of a deal. And if everything is Mil-Spec or close to it, worst case the lower itself breaks or something, could could buy another lower and should be able to swap all the guts over to it.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts