Archery Addix banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am getting back into bow hunting after 20+ years .I am looking for any suggestions for fixed blade broad heads for pig hunting.I hunt whitetail also but the majority of the time I hunt pigs. I would like suggestions for minimum and maximum broad head weight and total arrow weights.I am going to be purchasing a PSE Drive LT and will probably be shooting 60#-65# and my DL is just under 31". A lot has changed since I last had a bow and it can be confusing.I feel the best way besides trial and error and spending tons of money which I don't have is to ask the people that know best and that is the Archery community. Any and all help will be grateful .

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Chris a 400 gr or so finished weight arrow with a good soils COC fixed blade head would work nicely.

Think VPA in 100 or 125 grains....

Reactions: SCboars

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
COC would penetrate better then a chisel tipped head?

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
All other things being equal, yes for the most part.

·
Banned
5,316 Posts
Dude at a 31 inch draw length, any broad head is gonna penetrate !!! Lol

I like Wasp Boss 4 blade 100's on an Easton ACC 360 or 371 for boars.

Shot the same sort of configuration in a Muzzy and smoked tons of pigs.

I've been shooting Solid 100's this year. They shoot perfectly with my field tips and my Wasps. Nice wide cut on impact head with bleeders. Biggest problem is getting yourself stocked up.

Bought some new "Bi-Polar" heads to try out in January after deer season is done.

That's what I use, but I was wanting some sort of bigger cutting diameter, like 2 inches. Looked at those VPA things and had a friend tell me he used them on a Cape buffalo and crused him in a pile within 30 yards.

Sent from my iPhone
Revelation 1:5

·
Registered
896 Posts
I know that when we had the addix hunt in GA there was a hog killed with a GK that had great penetration as well as my brothers hog which was shot with a Solid. Both had great penetration and did some damage. As AJB said though with that dl just about any quality head will work.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys!!....Definitely gonna check them out...Friend is going to comp me on a couple different set ups of my choice to try out :bigsmile: .The info you guys have given me has been a big help!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thinking of ordering a pack of Magnus Stinger Killer Bees and SlickTrick Razortricks has anyone shot these at all? Im still looking at Wasp and Solid...My buddy is going to give me a few sets of different muzzy, I believe one is going to be the Phantoms

Chris

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've heard good things about dirt nap D.R.T. I'm waitin on mine to get here there what I'll be using in my hog hunts

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
I'm surprised nobody said QAD exodus. I have some DRT heads. They flew good for me and had really good penetration on my 3d target stuck out the other side with about 1.5" of arrow behind it. Haven't used on them on game yet. Very sharp out of the package.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
When it comes to putting down big pigs the Aussies have had it sussed for years. Pigs don't come much bigger than over there. Putting a BH through their fighting shield is a must and if they are caked in hard dried up wallow mud, that shield can really slow down an arrow. For years their go-to combo is a heavy arrow 500-600 grn for max energy plus a cut on impact single blade BH I am not going to get into a pissing competition re which brand, but there are plenty of good ones around. I know they (the Aussies) would be the fist to say, stay away from the expendables and even the multi blades for big boars.

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
Exodus heads work great. Have taken piggies from 65#-200#.

One of the heads have gone through 3 pigs over 3 days with only a quick sharpen job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
5,316 Posts
When it comes to putting down big pigs the Aussies have had it sussed for years. Pigs don't come much bigger than over there. Putting a BH through their fighting shield is a must and if they are caked in hard dried up wallow mud, that shield can really slow down an arrow. For years their go-to combo is a heavy arrow 500-600 grn for max energy plus a cut on impact single blade BH I am not going to get into a pissing competition re which brand, but there are plenty of good ones around. I know they (the Aussies) would be the fist to say, stay away from the expendables and even the multi blades for big boars.
There is a guy in Australia who makes a monster cut on impact head for big game. Forgot his name but I sent him an email trying to buy some of his custom heads but of got no response.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
I was checking out some Aussie heads that were single bevel 2 blade with bleeders that were designed to break off if they hit bone to maximize penetration forgot the name though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would also throw in the Anarchy single bevel.

They come in 100/125 gr and 1 3/16"-1 1/2" cut.

We gave some to a local kid. He shot a small 6 point buck with the 100 gr. 1 1/2" cut and destroyed the on side sholder with a 39# bow!!

I can only guess that they'd destroy pigs with a faster/ heavier shaft.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Been spending alot of time researching braodheads and I really am leaning towards single blade or "single with bleeders"

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

·
Banned
5,316 Posts
Yes I have a friend who shot a couple African big game with VPA with tremendous results.

Shot a Black Death that he said went 30 yards and piled up. That's impressive !!!

Sent from my iPhone

1 - 20 of 21 Posts