Archery Addix banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How good are the slick trick broadheads. Do they fly like a fieldpoint. The grizz trick 2 heads are what I am most interested in

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
The standards and mags fly the best. If you bow is tuned well the grizz trick 2 also fly well. I am using the grizz trick 2s this year. They leave a devastating hole

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Enkriss - I have some 125 mags on the way

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have used the Grizz Trick 1 and now the Grizz trick 2 and had great results. They have been devastating on Bears and Deer. I have not really had to tune the BH in any respect and it has flown straight and steady on my Black Eagle Rampages.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Sorry, I have not tried the Magnums. I did shot the standard 100 gr when they first came out. The magnums look awesome too though.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have had a chance to put the 125 gr. magnum through its paces and I am very pleased with the results.

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
I will be going back to magnums or maybe a different head. The grizz trick 2s do leave nasty holes, however they fail miserably on bone. I assume it's from the steep angle on the blades.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I have shot every ST made and killed deer with everyone. If I had to use just one it would be the Mags. As enkriss said if your bow isn't tuned great the GT2 won't fly as good as the mags or the other styles. The GT2 makes one heck of a hole and love them and killed 5 or 6 deer with them. but I have killed even more with the mags and don't have to do some much tuning as the GT2.
The wife uses the razor tricks and has killed three deer with them and all pass thrus at 40 to 50 lbs draw weight. They leave a nice hole but not as big as the mags or GT2. Only thing I can say neg is they whistle in flight. but never had a deer react to the noise.

the hole in the heart in my avatar is a GT2 hole.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just getting back into bow hunting and been looking hard at ST heads and was wondering which would be best for hog hunting..Draw weight on the bow I am getting will be 60-65 my DL 31". I know with my draw length pretty much any well made head would do the trick but need something that will punch a nasty hole as I hunt in swamp bottoms and very overgrown logged out areas .I do plan on getting a few different BH to try out and with all the different ones out on the market and limited funds Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
St's r well made and won't break the bank I would start there try the magnums.

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
Like I said the grizz tricks leave nice big holes. But I had caught the inside of a shoulder and the blades just snapped. I had a bad shot hit high and forward right in the shoulder. The arrow got zero penetration.

Bad shot regardless...If you keep your shots away from bone you should have no problem.

I will be shooting mags again. Never had an issue with them. I will take the slightly smaller cut for better performance on bone...

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Thinking about trying the mags myself.....I like that I can sharpen the blades on my lansky and get em even sharper. They are sharp new but scary sharp on lansky.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
That's one problem i am concerned about...I'm not saying hogs are bullet proof but how thick and hard the bone is plus the shield it can be a challenge if the shot placement isn't right on.I been hunting hogs for over 20 years and I have seen shields close to 3" thick .My buddy shot a boar last year with his bow and hit to far forward and 3 of the 4 blades sheared off and didn't penetrate all the way.I had to track and then finish off the boar with my 10mm.One thing I really don't like doing is track a wounded pig it's like walking into a mini tornado.I'm going to get some COC and chisel tipped to play around with , definitely going to get some Magnums they look like they would hold up and do the trick.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
That's one problem i am concerned about...I'm not saying hogs are bullet proof but how thick and hard the bone is plus the shield it can be a challenge if the shot placement isn't right on.I been hunting hogs for over 20 years and I have seen shields close to 3" thick .My buddy shot a boar last year with his bow and hit to far forward and 3 of the 4 blades sheared off and didn't penetrate all the way.I had to track and then finish off the boar with my 10mm.One thing I really don't like doing is track a wounded pig it's like walking into a mini tornado.I'm going to get some COC and chisel tipped to play around with , definitely going to get some Magnums they look like they would hold up and do the trick.
Viper trick has both of best worlds strong tip for bone and some what coc head. you can also change out the VT bleeder blade with a GT2 blade to get a bigger cut. but ups grain like 7 grains. For hogs I'm going to use QAD but thats me and any of the ST will go the job reguardless.

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
Slick trick has a wide range of heads. Each has there pluses and minuses. You need to weigh those pros and cons and determine which is the best head for your setup and the animal you are intending on using them on.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks!!!....Think I am going to bite the bullet and slide a little more funding over to my broad head expenses and invest in more of a selection...Just means I get to play around more in fine tuning for them nasty great tasting piggies :smile1:

Chris

·
Banned
5,316 Posts
I'm starting to think that for big boar hogs, not really sows, but boar hogs and also Barr hogs, a big game broadhead like from VPA might be better off than our conventional heads.

Boar hog shields are a beatch. You really need a 80 pound bow to hammer them.

I shot a 200 pound boar hog with my .300 WSM , 150 grain Winchester Supreme ballistic tip @ about 75 yards. Blew him off his feet dead and found the bullet in the far side shield when skinning him. It mushroomed but was not split or distorted in pieces. Just got slowed down like a bullet proof best.

This boar had a solid 3 inch shield on each side over his vital area and at least 2 inches moving all the back to his last rib. This was with a gun not a bow. I'm positive a 100 pound bow wouldn't pass thru this freak.

Sent from my iPhone
Revelation 1:5

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I'm starting to think that for big boar hogs, not really sows, but boar hogs and also Barr hogs, a big game broadhead like from VPA might be better off than our conventional heads.

Boar hog shields are a beatch. You really need a 80 pound bow to hammer them.

I shot a 200 pound boar hog with my .300 WSM , 150 grain Winchester Supreme ballistic tip @ about 75 yards. Blew him off his feet dead and found the bullet in the far side shield when skinning him. It mushroomed but was not split or distorted in pieces. Just got slowed down like a bullet proof best.

This boar had a solid 3 inch shield on each side over his vital area and at least 2 inches moving all the back to his last rib. This was with a gun not a bow. I'm positive a 100 pound bow wouldn't pass thru this freak.

Sent from my iPhone
Revelation 1:5

Funny I've shot 2 deer with a 7mag 150 grain Winchester Supreme ballistic tip also and never had a exit, from my reading that tip isn't going to exit just shread apart everything inside. I like exit holes so went with different bullets. That was on deer hide and ribs under 100 yard shots.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts