Archery Addix banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need a new pair of boots to take with me elk hunting...I have zero experience with backpacking let alone the mountains...Im not sure if I need hiking boots or hunting boots...Waterproof is a no brainer but I how much insulation do you guys prefer...I know I'm going to want some ankle support so I'm thinking somewhere in the 6-8 in range...So can you western boys help a flat lander out...I guess I should add I have the smallest foot on the planet so I'm pretty much limited to Danners...

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
Small boots eh?... That means .... You wear small socks?

Anyway I am looking for new boots also so interested in responses, however I am a stand hunter...

Does anyone use rubber boots? Does that rubber smell ever go away?

I was looking at Irish setter rutmaster but they smell hardcore....

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
If your into rubber type boots than look at Muck boots. They are great all around boots.

For hiking/elk hunting boots I have a pair of Irish Setters that are 8" boots and they work well. I also have a pair of cheaper Rocky Silent Stalker boots. Both are waterproof and offer different things. The Irish setters have good support and decent grip but are a bit heavier and a little noisier to walk in. The Silent Stalkers aren't as supportive but for me I like how light they are and how easy they are to hike in. Almost like wearing a light pair of running shoes just with a bit more support. They are great for spot and stalk hunting and I have no issues hiking all day in them. I personally don't like boots with lots of support as I find them a little bulky.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Small boots eh?... That means .... You wear small socks?

Anyway I am looking for new boots also so interested in responses, however I am a stand hunter...

Does anyone use rubber boots? Does that rubber smell ever go away?

I was looking at Irish setter rutmaster but they smell hardcore....
Lol ...yeah yeah...
About the rubber boots...I have a pair of Mucks and they are b-dazz...No smell period... You can roll down the top tuck your pant and roll in back up... or just keep them down if it warm out

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DD those are sweet but just a little more than I want to spend...

JayB...I have a pair of Setters and love them but that are wo-out...and leak after 6 yrs...Unfortunately they no long make boots in my size..

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
How little are your feet?

·
Banned
5,316 Posts
My take on boots. I've hunted since 1970. Needless to say I wore some things over the years that now I might CRIPPLE myself wearing today.

I wore for years LL Bean boots for hunting pheasant and Rocky Bear Claws and Bear Claw II for deer.

With the advancement of new technology placed into boots with this neopreme waterproof stuff,times have changed. Also big boot companies lend their manufacturing to other companies who place their name on the boot,,,,kinda like a Redhead or Cabelas fishing reel or bow.

Here's what I learned. I paid up big money for my Rocky boots. The soles disentergrated on 2 pairs. 1 time the store I bought them from replaced them. The second time they told me to pound salt.

About that time,Cabelas had just opened up in Connecticut. My brother told me a story of a women who brought in what looked like a 100 year old coat,complaining it wore out or something. The people told her to pick out a new one,,,,no CHARGE !!!

So I got talked into a pair of Cabelas boots that I wear when it's cold out. GREAT GREAT choice I might add.

Next I wanted to replace my Lacrosse Alpha Burley boots. Muck boots were the rage,and rightly so. The Woody and the Woody Max are awesome. Along comes Under Armour boots. You know Under Armour aint making them,,,and by the looks of them,,,they look like Muck boots. So I bought a pair of those HAW boots in dark green for treestand hunting. Love them to pieces !!! Liked them so much I just bought a second pair in Realtree for only $99 delivered.

For Elk hunting I wouldn't hesitate to wear either pair of the Under Armour or the Cabelas. If your stand hunting and its cold,always buy a size bigger to not only give you room for socks,but the extra air space holds heat from your feet as opposed to having your feet touching up against the cold outside material. The air space acts a buffer. I learned that within the last few years.

So that's my choice this day and age,,,$99 Psuedo Muck boots by Under Armour,and Cabelas knock off's of maybe a Danner,I forgot which brand.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I have Lowa's and Danner Pronghorns. I've thought about trying Kenetrek but not yet. I have zero use of my right calf muscles therefore very easy to turn ankle in the elk mountains. Danner Pronghorn is the best boot FOR ME ever, for elk hunting. It provides the secure ankle support that I need. The Lowa is actually a step up in quality of boot IMO but will not hold my ankle as secure as the Pronghorn. If you are hunting elk in September, 400 grams of insulation is all you'll need IMO as you are not sitting around letting your feet get cold much. I have 1,000 gram Pronghorns for December. Think about the area you'll be hunting and make choices based on that as well. dry arid vs high wet and cold. for a week or two of hunting, the conditions you expect to be in will help you pick the right boot to help you enjoy the hunt to the fullest.

Take it from a guy that deals with bad ankles every day. Don't be shy with the wallet when taking care of your feet. Good and well fit boots will pay for themselves in a heart beat in the mountains, I promise. Enjoy your hunt!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
20,509 Posts
50-60 day 30s nights average ...

I wear a 7 in boots 7.5 in shoes...and it's a PITA
That's a bad size. Cause most stores only carry as small as 8s. So maybe order through cabelas where you could return them. But you want to wear them alot before the trip. To break them in.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I kinda need to make a decision soon... been looking for months... The one boot that I keep going back to is the Danner raptor gtx

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
Elk tracker by Irish setter best boot I've ever had. Feels like you have had them 10 yrs from day 1.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
I wear these in the early season very comfortable and tuff as nails

Attachments

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Irish setter elk tracker
Cabelas meindl Denali perfekt or ultralight.
Lowa
Zamberlan
Asolo
Forget rubber boots in the mountains.

🍻🇺🇸🍻

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
If you've got someplace that carries that Danner model close to you (like Cabelas), go and try them on and see how the feel walking around......Listen to hear if they squeek. I have a pair of Pronhorns that I don't wear because they squeek when I walk. If you're hunting out of a base camp and not carrying a heavy pack all day, the GTX should work for you. I have terrible feet.....They're flat & I suffer from bouts of plantar fasciitis. I wear the Meindl Alaskan boots.....They fit me better than the Perfekt models.

·
Registered
11,903 Posts
I wear mucks literally everyday they are a great boot and i hunt in.them BUT i hunt mountains and im tellin you now do not get them for elk huntin if u do u will regret it....u need support walkin that ground and these mucks font have that they are really a flat land or short walkin hunters boot....im gettin away from.them for hunting and like i said i wearem everyday day in day out have them in now milkin

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I rock combat boots in black. For 3 reasons.... ankle supports is awesome, water resistance, and light wieght . I think my current pair is rocky but I need to retire them because they are 1.5 years old. But I also work in them everyday on job sites.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 117 Posts