Archery Addix banner

81 - 100 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
I will agree with the liner socks. Started wearing them last year. What a difference.

I ordered a pair of 400gr insulate cabelas/meindl ... I didnt go a size bigger. I ordered my regular shoe size. Hope that wasn't a mistake.

Cabela's"Perfekt™" 10" Hunter Boots by Meindl : Cabela's
You should be fine..... Although I haven't tried the Perfekt boot out, the Alaskan Hunter model is a great fit at my normal shoe size. I did order the 50th Anniversary model that Cabela's had last year and they fit a little looser than the Alaskans did.....Not much, but I liked the fit on the Alaskan. They've been a great boot.....I think you'll like them.

·
Registered
965 Posts
So I need a new pair of boots to take with me elk hunting...I have zero experience with backpacking let alone the mountains...Im not sure if I need hiking boots or hunting boots...Waterproof is a no brainer but I how much insulation do you guys prefer...I know I'm going to want some ankle support so I'm thinking somewhere in the 6-8 in range...So can you western boys help a flat lander out...I guess I should add I have the smallest foot on the planet so I'm pretty much limited to Danners...
I also needed a new pair for my elk hunt and got the Lowa Renegade GTX after reading some reviews. Boots are a personal thing, But I love mine so far. Decent support, waterproof and lightweight.

·
Registered
11,903 Posts
I like the cabelas elk.hunter boot but i cant make myself pay that kinda money

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Bling, I go by the old armed service addage: Take care of your feet and they will take care of you. I hunted one year with some cheaper style boots and it wasn't fun.....And after a severe bout of plantar fasciitis, I decided that I would never skimp on work shoes or hunting boots. I'm on my feet all day, and I go through a pair of Keens about every 6 months for work.....My hunting boots are only worn a few weeks during the year, so they're going to last me several years. Believe me, when you get on the other side of 50, you need to pay attention to what your body is telling you.....I should have done that on the other side of 40, but I've been known to be stubborn. I would insert stupid, but I hate to incriminate myself......

·
Registered
11,903 Posts
Cord i see wat your sayin im.jus scared too that if i.gottem.and didnt fit right.id be stuck with them

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I will agree with the liner socks. Started wearing them last year. What a difference.

I ordered a pair of 400gr insulate cabelas/meindl ... I didnt go a size bigger. I ordered my regular shoe size. Hope that wasn't a mistake.

Cabela's"Perfekt™" 10" Hunter Boots by Meindl : Cabela's
At least with the Cabelas you will be able to send them back if they don't fit right...Both pairs of my meindls are oversized and wide versions. But I have wide feet. Good thing about the Meindls is they are pretty comfortable right away so they won't grind your feet when breaking them in, but they take forever to get full broke down. My still creak and are breaking in and I've had them for long time and they have a good amount of miles on them.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Yep, that's kinda why I went with the Meindl from Cabelas as well.....I knew that I could return them if they didn't fit right. Mine don't squeek, but like I said, my Pronghorns sure do. My local Scheels just started to carry the Kenetrek this past year.....If they had carried them 2 years ago, I probably would have went with those because I could have tried them on and walked around in them to get a feeling for the fit. There's one other way to go and that is through Lathrop & Sons......You can get a custom fit boot based on a foot sketch that you send in to them. www.lathropandsons.com

·
Registered
315 Posts
I like my Danner Pronghorns you should try those on, great support and not too expensive.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
I like my Danner Pronghorns you should try those on, great support and not too expensive.
I have a pair that I wouldn't give to a shoeless Ethiopian. They suck.

🍻🇺🇸🍻

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have a pair that I wouldn't give to a shoeless Ethiopian. They suck.

��������
LOL!! That's a good one! I like mine though, for only $200 they have been good. I used to use my military issue boots for a while so the Pronghorns are a huge upgrade in comfort for me.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
LOL!! That's a good one! I like mine though, for only $200 they have been good. I used to use my military issue boots for a while so the Pronghorns are a huge upgrade in comfort for me.
I'm military so I hear you there.

If your looking for boots check out promotives deals on zamberlan and Hayland
Its free to sign up for when your military.

🍻🇺🇸🍻

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm military so I hear you there.

If your looking for boots check out promotives deals on zamberlan and Hayland
Its free to sign up for when your military.

��������
Wow that is some good info thanks! I never knew about this. I may be having a fancy pair of Zamberlan's someday!

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Be careful who you talk to about your boots, WM...........Docmort will have you at one of his favorite pedicure stations!!! HAHA

·
Registered
315 Posts
Be careful who you talk to about your boots, WM...........Docmort will have you at one of his favorite pedicure stations!!! HAHA
Lol!!! As long as it is one of those pedicure places with a happy ending i kid i kid!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Hey now you little fairy.

🍻🇺🇸🍻

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
I must have read 1000 reveiws, articles, and forum (both hunting, hiking, and backpacking) posts about boots in the last two weeks...For reference this what I'm hunting out of a drop camp so I'm being packed in and out on horses...Most of my hunting will be done below 8000ft...We only have to pack out elk to camp... and i have a pair of back up boots if it gets to cold...We will mostly be calling and glassing but if they arent talking plan on spot and stalk...Also we may spike if need be...With that being said, here's what I come up with...
My critia:
Mountain boots that provided good support and traction for a 30-40 lb day pack but wouldn't kill me if I needed to pack out an elk...
Non-insulated but still warm enough for cool mornings...
Not to heavy but stiff enough for steep terrain...
Gore-tex!!!!
7-7.5D size
7-8 in height
Price

Danners are good boots but unless you buy the USA made one you are taking a gamble...And for that kind of money you are better off spending it on Kenetreks, Asolos, Lowas, or Hanwags...

The Hanwags Mountain Lights looked to be the best match for me but compared to the other boots in their class... Reviews said they are an excellent boot but for what I was looking for a touch heavy...So checked them off the list...

The Asolo Pro Matic... Great reviews good weight but from what I understand more of a heavy load boot...The deciding fact was that they are more of cold not moderate weather boot...Plus they are only a 6 in boot and I want something just a little taller...

Lowa Tibet ...Mostly just a fantastic boot for its application...Excellent traction perfect height...But the heaviest boot I put on my list..and again I think to stiff of a sole for my purpose...

Then there were two...

Lowa Ranger GTX...Perfect height, good weight, stiff, but flexible sole...Perfect for 30-40 lb packs but can be pushed to heavier loads if needed...The traction is for lack of a better word "descent"... It was called the "best all around boot" in a side by side comparison of over 100 boots...

Finally the Kenetreks Hardscabbles...
I really don't what to say...Light hardcore early season boot...Checks every box on my list and then some except one...Price!!!...

So once again I'm undecided...
Kenetrek Hardscrabble or Lowa Ranger GTX
A great boot that probably serve every purpose I would ever need or the boot that I would never have to question for a $100 more???

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Kenetrek......

81 - 100 of 117 Posts