101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Get the Kenetreks

·
Registered
562 Posts
Alot of info. here so I can't add much but some fine points. 1,as has been said good liner socks, 2 instead of wool outer socks go with synth. blend. Wool when wet dries slow, synth. alot quicker, also recomended by meindl. 3 boot, lots of good ones but if room for only 1 then Kenetrek. One thing not mentioned here is type of sole. any good traction type with the exception of air bobs they don't work in snow, they plug up and won't clean out. I had them put on my meindls and that was a mistake. Think alot on water proof boots nothing worse than wet boots. Pretty sure though have not tried them is Kenetrek, I have Melndls and though on the heavy side those are like a sherman tank when it comes to water.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Bowman I'm sure you said before, but where you going elk hunting? Just curious

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Area 75 and 751...15 miles north of Durango...Camp will be smack dab in between Lemon and Vallecito reservoirs...sept 21st -29th

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Was just looking at Smartwool socks and liners...Lots recommendation for them and going to put in Superfeet Green insoles regardless of which boot I buy...

·
Registered
778 Posts
Hunted at Pagosa Springs several times, kilt a big Muley On the Piedra river. Last few times I chased elk was near Pitkin, bout 30 miles east of Gunnison up on the divide. Lots of elk there.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Smash is that in the gunnison forest itself ?

🍻🇺🇸🍻

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
We chose this outfitter because he was the only one who offered a 7 day hunt and neither my cousin or I have ever been so we just figured the longer the better...

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
It's hunting it will be fun

🍻🇺🇸🍻

·
Registered
778 Posts
Smash is that in the gunnison forest itself ?

��������
Yessir.....steepest sh!t I ever hunted....but lots of elk and some world class Muleys.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Yessir.....steepest sh!t I ever hunted....but lots of elk and some world class Muleys.
Drove through there on way to Rico looked Gamey

🍻🇺🇸🍻

·
Registered
306 Posts
Irish setters an be done with it think I gave around 150 $ for mine at basspro

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Banned
5,316 Posts
Sounds like u got it down to a science. If I were you I'd do two last things.

1: try both sets of final choice boots on before buying to see how they feel. Research is great, but your feet are what's matters most.

2: make sure you buy a little larger size. Especially if you use inserts. Inserts normally for my feet make me need a whole size bigger sneaker or shoe. Orthotics add bulk.
I agree with the polyester type thin liner and Dr. Schols foot powder as a baseline for my own feet on heavy walking days. Foot powder does have scent but there is nothing worse then having your feet on fire from walking. That's why I like the thin liner on my feet skin and merino wool over them.
Under Armour makes a heavier polyester sock in exchange of the merino that I like for mild weather that I will wear direct on my feet skin and drop the liner and the merino. I would also do some jogging to get the feet in shape callous wise. You don't want no tender feet !!!!

Sent from my iPhone
Revelation 1:5

·
Registered
2 Posts
boots

I have Lowa Men's Tibet GTX . If you are looking for a pair of boots to "flash" Rim to Rim to Rim at the Grand Canyon, or do the 220 miles of the JMT in 2 weeks these are not it. Consider the Lowa Renegade for this purpose (or a pair of grippy lit weight hiking shoes that will fall apart after one of those uses). I like the Renegades too, but they are not built for heavy duty hiking and climbing like these are. Many light weight boots will not give you the proper ankle support required when carrying a heavy pack over rough terrain and long distances. These boots do. If you are considering adventure backpacking off trail - buy these boots If you are considering climbing moderate angled snow couloirs - buy these boots If you want to do "scrambling" on rock (class 3 / 4) and don't want to bring rock shoes for a wilderness trip - buy these boots If you travel in areas where the trails are wet, ankle snapping rocky conditions - buy these boots. If you want a boot to last for YEARS - buy these boots. If you wonder what to bring on the around the world adventure where you don't know what to expect but know you are going wilderness trekking - buy these boots (and bring a pair of sandals). Going to Nepal in the fall - buy these boots If you understand that quality footwear is NOT found at a bargain price and you have to pay for the kind of quality that does not let you down in the middle of nowhere - then buy these boots. Need something other than a boot that is the now-standard "wide" - buy these in the medium width. I usually wear a narrow and using a foot bed makes these work well.

101 - 117 of 117 Posts