Archery Addix banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Premium Member
3,927 Posts
chuck7413 said:
I don't even look at the speed ratings.
I agree.

For hunting I care about how easy I can draw, when sitting and cold and that the arrow has enough KE to make an ethical kill.

For 3D, I can get most any new era bow to shoot the 280fps set by ASA.

To me they use speed ratings like other companies use sexy women in commercials....it sells.

G

·
Although speed may be a benefit to hunting; if the bow is not easy to draw, tune, and very forgiving, I tend to stay away from it.
For me, some of the "speed bows" have a draw curve that is a lil harsh for me.
I like a bow I know I can draw in sub-freezing temps with several layers of clothing on and in a postion that might require me to zip an arrow off other than standing on a line at a paper target that i know is exactly 20 yards from me.
If I cannot shoot the bow dozens of times before me shoulders and arms feel it, then it isnt a bow for me.

· Registered
628 Posts
mdewitt71 said:
Although speed may be a benefit to hunting; if the bow is not easy to draw, tune, and very forgiving, I tend to stay away from it.
For me, some of the "speed bows" have a draw curve that is a lil harsh for me.
I like a bow I know I can draw in sub-freezing temps with several layers of clothing on and in a postion that might require me to zip an arrow off other than standing on a line at a paper target that i know is exactly 20 yards from me.
If I cannot shoot the bow dozens of times before me shoulders and arms feel it, then it isnt a bow for me.
if you can't hit the broadside of a barn with a fast bow how in the world are you gonna hit a deer at 20 yards.

easy to tune deadly accurate and quiet as you can get it.

most deer are taken under 20 yards i would say would be the national average for most bowhunting kills.

BRU

· Registered
628 Posts
yes sir stix. fixed blade broadheads are easy to tune if you stay under 270. 260 is the best of both worlds for fixed blades. great flight deadly accurate and easy to tune. over 300 it seams to me from my experience with a blackknight 2 I had to shoot a heavier arrow to slow the beast down. it would shoot through a train car. 255 on a 470 gr arrow on 61 lbs.

when i tried to shoot braodheads at 295 i could get it to shoot but my form had to be dead perfect or that setup would eat my lunch.

hey stix i guess i was referring to eastern hunting about the 20 yard thing. i forgot about the western bowhunters and those spot and stalk mulies. I bet that is a lot of fun. do you carry a range finder?

BRU

· Registered
661 Posts
mosouthpaw said:
i use IBO as a base idea of speed. Its not absolute....
exactly, company's "lie" or bend the rules a little so to speak to sell their bows. Look at Mathews bows they short strand the strings to gain fps. What I really like is the fact that Bowtech and Ross obtain IBO with all the leeches and everything on the bow. I have a question though, where is the Cardiac speed comming from?

· Premium Member
3,927 Posts
Cougars09 said:
mosouthpaw said:
exactly, company's "lie" or bend the rules a little so to speak to sell their bows. Look at Mathews bows they short strand the strings to gain fps. What I really like is the fact that Bowtech and Ross obtain IBO with all the leeches and everything on the bow. I have a question though, where is the Cardiac speed comming from?
I think it is in the brace height and the new cam

· Registered
6 Posts
I look at the Ibo speed but just to get an idea about the bow,I know Ill never come close to that speed.Accuracy is the utmost to me followed my ease of daw noise and ease of tuning.Im also one of those eastern hunter so 12-25yards is where I shoot 90% of my game. every once in a while I may shoot one at 30 and some times the danm things try to get in the tree with ya!(LOL)

G

·
weave said:
Cougars09 said:
mosouthpaw said:
I think it is in the brace height and the new cam
I agree with weave. The combination of the lower bh and the new cam design are the main reasons for the increase in speed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.