Archery Addix banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never really been a pistol guy, I basically use guns to hunt with only not much on just shooting. I have a bunch of rifles and shotguns and I bought my first pistol the other day. A budget gun to see if I like it , a Smith and Wesson 9mm SD9VE. Read good things about them except the high pounds on the trigger pull , but says reliable and eats basically any ammo , so for the price its what I bought. Any tips or tricks I should know before I venture to the range ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
The trigger pull is a limiting factor as far as accuracy goes. Shoot a lot, get some training and shoot more!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I have shot one before and I wouldn't purchase one. I would get a bersa before the smith due to the trigger on it if I were going to purchase has new. The trigger is heavy to a point that affects staying on target with the gun. Also shop around a lot of time you can find retired local police department glocks and xds for 300.

I would rather buy a used higher quality gun vs a new lower quality gun. But on buying used you need to look at a few write ups on things to look for on used firearms.

Reactions: Cant hit em

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Oh and congrats in advance on buying your 3rd handgun... because you won't just get one. Lol

·
Banned
5,316 Posts
From what you stated, you're not a "target" shooter ? But use guns for hunting ? I assume you're using this pistol as a sidearm carry in the woods as a back up to your bow, black powder or rifle ?

I know others suggested "trigger work". I think you might pay half as much as you paid for the gun for trigger work. Therefore you could have bought a gun that already HAD a smoothe trigger right out of the box.

I wouldn't tinker with the trigger. If the trigger is something in high need for yourself, I'd get a better gun, trigger wise.

If not, I'd carry it as it is and use it as it is and enjoy the $$$$$ savings.

I carry a Colt .45 stainless Colt Officers in the woods. I never checked, nor cared what the single action trigger did, just as long as it fired if I need to use it. It's a "accessory" to my hunting. Rattlesnakes, life threatening situations from alligators, boar hogs, bears, panthers or renegade hunters for self defense, I wanted a lot of knock down stopping power. So I carry the .45 instead of my .40 or 9.

I went over 15 years without firing my .45 !!! I just fired it a few months ago just to make sure it still fired and my ammo was still good !!! Lol seriously.
But that just how I "use" my sidearm. It's an emergency helper. Granted I should have fired it every few months.

Sent from my iPhone
Revelation 1:5

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys , the spring kits like $25 for the trigger to drop from 8.5 lbs to around 5.5 or 6. If Im into shooting these this one will probably stay as a night stand Queen and I'll buy something much higher quality next for myself

JB in this funked up State I live in , you can not carry a side arm while archery hunting. This is just for home defense and to take to the range , my wife even is down to start shooting.
I might have to get her a lil somethin .... Any women gun suggestions

It has begun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
With my wife I started her on a Walther p22. And that is what I have started my kids on as well.

Reactions: Cant hit em

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
My 11 yr old daughter shoots it with both hands and it doesn't buck to hard.

Got any shops around with a range? Most don't mind a shot or 2 with a uses gun.

·
Banned
5,316 Posts
I agree the Walther PPK .380 is a great lady gun, but watch how it slides back. People have gotten cut from gripping it off.

Other good lady guns to me are the Colt Mustang .380 and the Smith and Wesson Lady Smith Model 60 a 5 shot .38.

I always started them on the wheel gun then slowly bring them along on a auto loader.

Sent from my iPhone
Revelation 1:5

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have a ruger 357 single action revolver. I wanted a sidearm but something I could hunt with as well. We have a pistol season here in Illinois, I was going to shoot from horseback till I found out it was illegal to hunt OFF a horse . You can, however, ride up, get off, shoot, and get back on. Stupid laws!

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
I have a ruger 357 single action revolver. I wanted a sidearm but something I could hunt with as well. We have a pistol season here in Illinois, I was going to shoot from horseback till I found out it was illegal to hunt OFF a horse . You can, however, ride up, get off, shoot, and get back on. Stupid laws!
Many people shoot off a horse "ONCE!"

1 - 20 of 35 Posts