Archery Addix banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Switching between the 2 styles can cause a slight anchor change which leads to a POI change... Also with the hand held you might be rotating the d loop a little more which can cause a POI change as well... I've always had a slight POI change when switching back and forth as well.

sent via a poo flinging monkey!!!
Makes sense - I can validate however, that I do not rotate my hand with the handheld! I was fortunate to have learned that watching others shoot a handheld with their new bows before i ever tried a handheld.

They were trying to tune the new reata on their new bows amd shooting through paper. The tech at the shop was shooting bullet hole after bullet hole but the two guys with new bows weren't. Finally, after changing one thing after another, we discovered that it was their releases and them rotating their hand to get to anchor - like most handheld shooters do - so that the back of their palm is against their face/cheek.

One of them went back to shooting a wrist strap caliper release, like the shop tech, and the other one had the tech lengthen his d-loop and drop 1 size on his DL module from 29.5 to 29.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
My d-loop is about 3/4 inch long and I use BCY #2 material because it is more flexible than other d-loop material I have tried. When using stiffer d-loop material, I have notice a POI change. Also, I do rotate my hand at full draw. These are the kinds of things you have to keep any eye on if you plan of switching from wrist strap releases to a thumb release. I am not sure if this still holds true if you use a handheld with a rotating head though.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Just curious does anyone know why folks rotate their hands so the back of their palms are against their cheek? Is their disadvantage to not rotating it? I ask because not rotating it as 2xR mentions in his post seems to be more natural for me and I can maintain the same anchor point as my caliper release (I keep it very short).

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I use the Tru-ball because the head rotates and have no/less loop twist. Changing between the diff release's does not effect L/R, but, I do have a verticle change with my peep...I have a Sure Loc Leathal Weapon w/ Retinal lock on order to try...

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Just curious does anyone know why folks rotate their hands so the back of their palms are against their cheek? Is their disadvantage to not rotating it? I ask because not rotating it as 2xR mentions in his post seems to be more natural for me and I can maintain the same anchor point as my caliper release (I keep it very short).
I anchor at the tip of my jawbone. If I didn't rotate my hand, my thumb barrel will be in contact with my jaw and can go off inadvertantly. By rotating, I can control the release with my thumb or with backtension at my discretion.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts