Archery Addix banner

recommend me a fixed blade

8K views 45 replies 23 participants last post by  jrogers 
#1 ·
Im really wanting to try a fixed blade this year. Looking for 125-150 grain. I've been looking at Magnus buzzcuts but Im open to other options. I would like a good strong head that tunes easily. My past experience with fixed blades hasn't been the greatest but then again they were also cheap heads

#2 · (Edited)
replaceable i go 125gr Slick Tricks...solid you can look at Silver Flame, Werewolf, there is a cool single bevel that supposedly twists as it is passing through flesh, can't remember right now what its called, but it looks interesting also. Someone will chime in with the name of it.

Also:

Solid Broadheads

#3 ·
Whew! You will get several opinions with a question like that! LOL

There are several brands and models in my shop that I would trust in the woods. The last few kills were with German Kinetics and NAP Big Nasty's. I used the NAPs because I was trying out the Easton Carbon Injexion arrows. I was impressed with the Big Nasty's and the Carbon Injexions. The German Kinetic broadheads are in a class of their own imo.

#4 ·
Muzzys have always been killers. Never did find a pack of 6 where all 6 flew right though.

Gk 125 xls fly awesome. Have not killed with em yet though.

Exodus are my go to. Out to 40 same point. Past that it appears (could very well me) to start to wonder. Usually left.

#8 ·
Will my heavy aluminums counter some of the steering issues i had with light weight carbons?

#10 ·
I love the damage done with Wasp Boss 100 grain 4 bladers. I've devastated hogs and deer for years with them.

I'm using Solids 100's this year just for the heck of it. Shot 2 pigs and a 9 point with them so far , also with great flight and damaging results. I really like them, but its too bad they took months and months to arrive after I placed my order.

I'm wanting a 2 inch cut blade, cut in impact , to use on some of these Barr hags we have that are 500+ pounds.

Sent from my iPhone
Revelation 1:5

#23 ·
My fav is the RamCat. I tested it against many other fixed blades. Hits with field points and it has more knock-down power than any broadhead I have ever seen. I have literally seen it knock a deer over and then of course the deer jumps up and runs then expires if the shot was good. This is due to the cut-outs at the tip. This causes a puff of air that simulates something like a bag popping when it impacts. No there is no popping noise but this head was tested at UGA to show why it has such knock-down power. It also penetrates better than any head that I have tested. When I say that I am comparing apples to apples. Not talking about penetration test between a 1 1/8" and 1 1/2", thats not an apples to apples comparison. But I have seen the RamCat penetrate even better than broadheads with a smaller cut. I have tested this head against Rage, SlickTrick and a few others. The Slick Tricks are also excellent heads and flies great. But, my fav, The RamCat!

#30 ·
I understand your thoughts. People that know me know that I will not write anything or shoot anything or use any equipment unless I like it, have tested it and it performs well. And I certainly have no reason to fib about anything that I use. All I can tell you brother is that I have personally witnessed this knock over three deer and other deer that shook at impact like you hit them with your fist or something. A friend of mine took some to Illinois last year and called me after he shot a doe in a corn field and was all excited about how the deer stumbled over then got up and ran 20 yards and died. Not saying this happens on every deer. But I have never seen another broadhead impact with such force. It was at that point that I started digging further to see how this head has so much penetration and impact. I personally witnessed a gel block with a piece of plywood in the middle at the ATA show, had one RamCat shot in it with a crossbow, then the owner invited all of the other broadhead manufacturers to shoot the same gel block to see which penetrated the best. After 3 or 4 manufacturers shot the gel block and as the others witnessed the other broadheads not penetrating as much, well the remainder of the manufacturers walked away and would not shoot the gel block.

The good thing about America, free country and you can shoot whatever broadhead you desire. No need in reading about my favorite broadhead if your happy with yours!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.