Archery Addix banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on another quest. I have an elk hunt next september in wyoming. I'm trying to decide on a sidearm to carry. I have the opportu ity to purchase a 454 casull freedom arms model 83 field grade for 1600.....it comes with scope mounts and leupold scope.

Just thinking about what I need and what's available. I originally wanted a 44 mag.....

I was also originally thinking taurus raging bull 44 mag....

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
If its me my grizz sidearm is not going to be scoped, the last thing you want to see is a charging grizz and you trying to get it lined up in the scope, not gonna happen. Almost all grizz attacks are ambush or hunters stumbling on a mom and a cub and things go sideways quick...I personally would rather have a Glock 20 but a 44 or 454 revolver will do just fine, you are just more limited on ammo. I am going to pick up a FNH FNX Tac 45 for my woods carry next gun, 15+1 of 45 ACP.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
I would personally have a defender.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would ise the iron sights, its just the fact that I can get a freedom arms revolver model 83 field grade with scope and mount for 1600.....the naked gun sells for 2000 new and this one has 18 rounds through it.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
does that 454 have a 5 or 6 round cylinder? That's just the only drawback IMO with the revolvers, do you necessarily need more, no but I would rather have 14 10mm or 16 45 acp if I'm in that situation.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
6 rounds. Reliability of a revolver is nice piece of mind. 6 rounds of 454 casull would put down a mammoth....

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
True but I look at it this way. I can probably shoot my xdm .45 2 shots to one on the .454 so 6 shots of it vs 12 shots of .45 either way it will be dead or soon to die. I have never shot one of those rounds before, but I have shot a .45 magnum once and follow up shots were hard to do and that is what I am basing my opinion on.

For that kinda weight and price you can get two full sized xdm ..45s and a duel wield shoulder holster and have a total of 30 rounds of .45 and feel like a bad $$$$$.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Reactions: BIG NONTIPPY169

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
.44 Redhawk with a 4" barrel......Buffalo Bore 360gr. rounds. That's my bear gun.....I've got a .45 ACP as well, but the rounds don't carry the punch that you need for bear. There's also the issue of potential jamming.....I had it happen to me once and it put reliabilty questions in my head. I would get a revolver.....JMO.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would feel more comfortable taking a gun with greater ballistics into the woods against bears. The .44 magnum round has everything I need in a round along with versatility in reloading. From what I understand the 45 acp casing is what limits the "hotness" you can load it with. It's not designed for high pressure.....

Thats just my little understanding between the two in that regard....

·
Super Moderator
20,509 Posts
I would feel more comfortable taking a gun with greater ballistics into the woods against bears. The .44 magnum round has everything I need in a round along with versatility in reloading. From what I understand the 45 acp casing is what limits the "hotness" you can load it with. It's not designed for high pressure.....

Thats just my little understanding between the two in that regard....
And most people thino there bow shoots whatever the ibo speed listed with no clue that drawlength, draw weight, or arrow weight effect it.

Elite

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Buffalo Bore ammo is very high pressure and only recommended for certain revolvers including the Redhawk series....... S&W revolvers are not in that group.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I’d get it and practice with it. By practice I mean drawing it and shooting on the move, because you’re not going to just stand in front of a charging bear or at least you shouldn’t. If you find it doesn’t meet your needs, sale it and get a 44 Mag, 45 ACP, or wherever. I'm sure you’ll find another deal before next September.

·
Banned
5,316 Posts
.44 Magnums have been for years sidearms that guides used in grizzly areas.

I happen to trust a .45 ACP , Colt Government Gold Cup. Remington makes a "+P" round hollow point , its got a little extra jolt of powder. They very well might make it in the 230 grain hard ball.

I like the damage the Federal Hydra Shok does but I never shot anything bigger than a 200 pound boar.

Regardless of the gun, you need to shoot it well and understand where your kills shots on a grizzly are at various angles and obtain the recognition to seize that opening with proficiency,,, your azz is on the line and these bears ain't no joke.

A .454 Casul I was told back in the day were used by criminals to bust safes open. I'm sure it would bust open a grizz too !!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone
Revelation 1:5

·
Premium Member
3,901 Posts
If you can control the recoil of the .454 then it's the way to go. If you do not regularly shoot bigbore revolvers then you might be better served with the .44 mag and even then you will need to actually shoot it to get comfortable with it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you can't kill it with a 44mag throw in the towel. Personally I like Ruger revolvers and love my super Blackhawk. Things built like a tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
2 Posts
Having lived in Alaska for many years and knowing the bears up here, 45 acp just isn't going to do much beside piss 'em off a bit more. You'd be better off using it on yourself. I personally carried a .480 Ruger on a Super Redhawk frame, with a 375 gr hardcast pill. Recoil is manageable, not nearly as bad as the 454 when loaded using H110 powedr.

That being said, a large preponderance of the guides here will carry pump or auto shotguns alternating slugs and large buckshot. They're probably on to something.

In the end it boils down to what your

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
I carried a Red Hawk in.44 mag all the while I guided. When we went back out to retrieve a downed elk, especially after an overnight, a shot gun was always with us. While I really like the .460 and am very comfortable with my .45, I wouldn't go into grizz country without my .44 and a can of bear spray.

Reactions: cordini

·
Registered
116 Posts
Me PERSONALLY, I just carry my H&K USP 40 cal with hollow points and FMJ's alternating..... Yeah yeah I know 454, 44,blah blah blah, but I guarantee you from experience that 5 or 6 rounds of 44 will not always stop a Angry Bear. I will take my chances with 15 rounds in my gun over runnin out after 6. I watched a Brownie take 6 44mags and not slow down. When they charge you, you will piss yourself. And as hard as a 44 is to keep on target firing it fast, you will have a hell of a time hitting. I have plenty of combat time, and a bear at a full charge is still more puckering than half a dozen rags with AK's.
As far as the scope, that will get you turned into bear crap. A laser on the bottom would be handy, but nothing to block your line of sight. A Griz or a Brownie can cover 20 yards REAL quick, so go out and practice drawing it fast and shooting it quick. If you can, take a five gal bucket, put it on a rope, turn your back to the bucket. Have a friend pull the bucket towards you as fast as they can. PRACTICE drawing, spinning, and shooting as fast as you can at the bucket.
Bears, especially mad ones, are fast and pretty narrow minded. Be prepared to do some stuff that would impress Doc Holliday.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts