Archery Addix banner

Spot Hogg Whammy

4K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  millstonesuper 
G
#1 ·
Anyone ever use the Spot Hogg Whammy?
<embed src="http://services.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f8/271534844" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=463858598&playerId=271534844&viewerSecureGatewayURL=https://services.brightcove.com/services/amfgateway&servicesURL=http://services.brightcove.com/services&cdnURL=http://admin.brightcove.com&domain=embed&autoStart=false&" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="486" height="412" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed>

The Whammy is a hybrid arrow rest that combines the guidance and support of traditional prong style rests and the fletch-clearing forgiveness of a fall away. Its launchers are spring loaded, at all times, and never rigid, giving archers added forgiveness. This rest doesn’t just fall out of the way, it jerks out of the way, and with such speed it allows 9X more arrow support and still gives maximum vane clearance.

Seems pretty neat, I may have to try one out......you can really see some of them rests bouncing back up, the TR Drop Zone did pretty well in the video though. :)

#2 ·
I was wanting to try one of those but I like my QAD LD. It looks like those metal launchers would make noise without some sort of rubber on them.

#5 ·
I have one on my 331

and I LIKE it.
Anyone that wants to know more about it might be a bit confused when they first study it as I was. I does NOT work like 'most' drop aways. The lowering of the rest fork is all mechanical,,a spring only returns it to rest. The cable and a finger lever have direct mechanical force to push the fork/prongs down at just the right time.
So far so good,,,I've had mine about 3 months I guess.
I plan on deer hunting with mine this September [opener for us in Georgia].
Alan in GA.

#9 ·
i just bought one yesterday and am going to hopefully play with it at the end of this week. i lkie everything else by Spot Hogg, so I thought I would give this a try. Seem s like the ultimate drop away if you set it up properly. I have used a Trophy Taker the last 6 years and was just trying to see if there was something better.

#10 ·
Another aspect,,,,

Another aspect of the Whammy is this: it supports the arrow for almost the full travel, pulling itself down for the passage of the vanes/feathers. My thought is this: Is this what you want a dropaway to do? Or, would you rather a dropaway 'drop' just after the release,,a few inches back from the point. Then the arrow and vanes/feathers get a clear pass.
I can't help but wonder this- wouldn't a standard spring supported two prong rest do the same thing if shot cock vane down so as to pass THRU the two prongs [standard procedure I think]? The Whammy can alter arrow flight since it DOES support the shaft for most of it's travel.
Don't get me wrong, I HAVE a Whammy and like it. However I have never had a standard 2 prong spring support rest and just wonder if I'm really gaining any benifit other than guaranteed vane clearance. It's not that hard to align a cock vane to cleanly go THRU spring supported double prongs, is it?

Jis' wondrin'
Alan in GA

G
#12 ·
Do you guys think it's better to have the arrow supported for a longer time (like the Whammy) or drop a little more quickly after the arrow is released? I read an article the other day that said an arrow just needs an initial "guide" to get it started in the intended direction and that anything more just creates friction/drag on the arrow tha robs speed. I would think any speed loss would be insignificant. Just wondering. :???:

#13 ·
I wasn't thinking speed loss,,but,,

the more time the arrow spends in contact with the rest, the more chance of poor shot form has to change the arrow's flight. If a drop 'soon' rest is away from the shaft early on, a minor movement of the bow or rest may not affect the arrow flight as much as if it were still in contact [?].
I like the Whammy and am just still trying to learn more about how it works [in detail].
It is on my 331 until something else needs 'trying'
Alan in GA.

#15 ·
set the whammy up last night

Due to some much needed rain, I got to leave the golf course before dark yesterday and get my new Whammy set up on my Cardiac. Now first I have to say, that i have been a die hard loyal fan of the Trophy Taker since '01 so this was a lot for me to make the change. It took me about 2 hours total in setup time and tinkering to get perfect bullet holes. I had to forget everything I know about setting u p the Trophy Takers. my centershot for bullet holes with the TT was just at 3/4" while with the Whammy dead center at 7/8" as is recommended. I have always had good success with the TT at 1/4-5/16" above square for nock height, but with the Whammy it was 7/16" which probably is what caused me to tinker longer than 1 hour, because I couldn't bring myself to move it that high, but when I did it sealed the deal. 5 of the most perfect bullet holes I have ever achieved including those shot with a Rage practice head. The cord of the Whammy which activates the drop mechanism is attached to my up cable exactly 6" from the trigger of the rest itself. This seems to offer the best timing. Any shorter and the paper showed it. I did not try any longer. the instructions I felt were very self explanatory and I did not have advd of how to set it up, just the included written ones which came in the package. It took me several reads to figure just how the trigger is suppossed to set in the rest "block". It actually is in a neutral position neither forward or back and is set Tangent to a timing hole which is much like the tangent set up of the Ross Cams. In general now that I know how it should work, look, and setup I will probably be able to set up the next one and have bullet holes in 30-45 minutes at the most. It was after dark when I was finished and I couldn't see the target to reset my sight, so I will re-group and re-sight in maybe tomorrow or over the weekend. In general, this rest is nothing short of well made and reaks of quality in workmanship. Something we have come to expect from Spot Hogg. The micro adjust is a great feature and you can make very minute adjustments due to the close tolerances in the drives and how tigh they are. You can and I don't know where I read someone said you couldn't, it may have been over @ A/T adjust the angle of the launchers as well, although this is a coarse adjustment not micro adjustable as it is in say a NAP QuicKtune 3000. I also did not have to cut the launcher ends down as others have stated and I like how well they cradle the arrow. The steel on carbon did make enogh noise to be noticeable and I just put some little fleece tabs on the launchers, the same as you get with a Wisker Bisquit and they removed the noise. I will shoot cock vane up, but it didn't matter if it was up or down, I still got perfect bullet holes in the final shots hence telling me I was achieving perfect vane clearence as that part of the shaft was clearing the prongs as they should. I would recommend the rest to anyone, but just know before hand that there is a learning curve. I think this rest may indeed may become my rest of choice for many years to come. The final analysis will come during hunting season this fall. :( Dale

#16 ·
on mine,,,,

I discovered that after a hundred shots or so that the set screw that tightens against the "flat" of the rest rod had loosened. You will see the fork rests rise up when 'at rest' instead of staying at 45 degrees to horizon. I put BLUE LOCTITE on both set screws that hold the rest rod and it has not loosened since.
I have pondered grinding the set screw end that holds against the 'flat' section of the main rest rod. It comes like most all hex set screws, having a circular edge with a hollow center at the working end. When used as a set screw like most are,,the edges will engrave any surface they are pushed into. I'm thinking the end of the screw might be better if ground totally FLAT. Then if a micro movement/adjustment is needed, the end won't tend to back up into the nearby 'grooves' it might have engraved.
What think?
Yes,,,,I love the Whammy. It moves the prongs out of the way,,just in case~!
Alan in GA [tinkerer of all things]

#17 ·
That doesn't sound like a bad idea. May have to try that one myself. Then I think you would be able to adjust the angle in tiny increments. I am surprised they loosened up on you though. Both the set screws were really in there pretty tight when I made the adjustment. dale

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.