Archery Addix banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only hunt right now would like to do 3d but have not had the chance yet. I am thinking about changing releases but don't know if i want to go thumb or back tension. I hear there is allot advantages to back tension but that you can shoot a thumb break using back tension. I also don't have a lot of time where I can spend learning to not punch my self in the face (I have heard a lot of bad stories about back tension) I do get to shoot about 3 times a week for about as long as I want to. I guess my question is would you go with a back tension or a Thumb break and why?

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Three times a week should be plenty of shooting if you want to shoot a hinge.

I shoot a thumb, but have only shot a wrist strap otherwise

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I currently shoot a wrist strap but want to upgrade try something new. I like the idea of the back tension i have just been told it's not ideal for hunting if you need to make a quick shot.

·
Registered
7,814 Posts
You can use "back tension" to trigger ANY release. A hinge is just a type of back tension release if that's what you mean. It takes a long time to learn a hinge properly but learning to shoot a thumb type release or even a trigger with back tension is not nearly as hard.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The whole "surprise" fire concept is strange to me coming from a firearms community that has basically grown past that old myth. A professional shooter knows the exact point as to where his shot will occur. A novice may need to be surprised in order to limit flinch or trigger jerk, but that should not be happening with an experienced shooter. I want to know the exact micro-second my shot is going off.

Now take my comment as it is coming from a person with near zero level experience in Bow hunting and 30 years experience with firearm hunting.

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
I would not personally want to use a hinge for hunting.

There are those times when you need to fire NOW!

I prefer a thumb release. You shoot it with back tension but if you need to it's easily punchable...

·
Super Moderator
20,509 Posts
I use a hinge for most everything then come deer season I use a thumb release with back tension style in mind.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use a hinge for most everything then come deer season I use a thumb release with back tension style in mind.
Thank you. After much thought this is the way i am leaning. I may buy the thumb this year and then the hinge later. Try to shoot the thumb with back tension in mind.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The whole "surprise" fire concept is strange to me coming from a firearms community that has basically grown past that old myth. A professional shooter knows the exact point as to where his shot will occur. A novice may need to be surprised in order to limit flinch or trigger jerk, but that should not be happening with an experienced shooter. I want to know the exact micro-second my shot is going off.

Now take my comment as it is coming from a person with near zero level experience in Bow hunting and 30 years experience with firearm hunting.
I am a firearms instructor so i know where your coming from.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts