Archery Addix banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
How do you know if you will hit or miss a branch hanging down or a bush half way between you and your target? My arrow hit a branch once while shooting at a hog and it occurred to me that I should be able to know before the shot if an obstruction near my shot path is in play or not.

Here's what you can do to know for sure and it only takes about 2 or 3 extra seconds. Let's say you see a deer out feeding on the other side of a tree that has a branch hanging close to your shot path. You laser the deer as usual and let's say you get 50 yards. You then laser the branch in question and let's say for this example you get 30 yards. When you go to full draw on the deer and set your 50 yard pin on the vitals you simply check the location of your 30 yard pin. If it is on the branch at 30 yards then you are going to hit it. If your 30 yard pin is clear then you are good to go. The nice thing is if your 30 yard pin is on the branch you can usually rise up or down slightly to get clearance for the shot and know with confidence your shot is clear. This works for a bush that is covering the bottom half or more of your target. If that bush is also at 30 yards and you put your 50 yard pin where you know where the vitals are, you then check your 30 yard pin to see if it clears the top of the brush. If it does then you are clear for the shot. I hope this helps and all the best, RI Max
so what about me I shoot 1 pin system how could I tell if I would hit or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
In your case Will it may be more of the SWAG method. Unless you're set on a single pin you could take advantage of a vertical multi-pin. I use a TR FireWire 3 pin. I'm not completely comfortable shooting 50yds yet but I'm guessing its theoretically the same for me shooting 30yds with a branch at 20

·
Registered
132 Posts
Here is one i use when following a sparse blood trail in the dark. Did this this past Saturday. Your on your knees looking for the next drop of blood, shine your light ahead and look for daddy longlegs(if you havem where you hunt),crickets, scorpians ect..these bugs love blood, at least ole' daddy longlegs and crickets, scorpians probly after the crickets. Anyway if you see them ahead of you they're probly feasting on a drop of blood and you can continue the trail till your find your game. Works for me.

Good luck :grin:
you forgot flys nats and mosquitos!

·
Banned
5,316 Posts
Jesse Broadwater was telling me how he sets up his rest to be most forgiving when it comes to torque. He starts out with his rest forward and he shoots his best shot right down the center. He then torques his bow to the left and shoots an arrow and then to the right and shoots an arrow. He marks each of those arrows and then moves his rest back a little and repeats the process. He moves the rest back and repeats. Each time the arrows that are impacting left when he torques left and the arrow impacting right when he torques right are getting closer to the original center arrow in the middle. This is because the rest is approaching the vertical axis of rotation when he torques the bow. Eventually, the arrows cross the center and go the other way. When you twist your riser and shoot and the arrow goes in the middle with the original arrow, you have found the most forgiving spot for you rest. All the best, RI Max
Sitting behind a desk all day, I'd never have thought of something this ingenuous !! Things like this are what separates those top dawgs from the pack.

Sent from my iPhone
Revelation 1:5

·
Registered
10 Posts
How do you know if you will hit or miss a branch hanging down or a bush half way between you and your target? My arrow hit a branch once while shooting at a hog and it occurred to me that I should be able to know before the shot if an obstruction near my shot path is in play or not.

Here's what you can do to know for sure and it only takes about 2 or 3 extra seconds. Let's say you see a deer out feeding on the other side of a tree that has a branch hanging close to your shot path. You laser the deer as usual and let's say you get 50 yards. You then laser the branch in question and let's say for this example you get 30 yards. When you go to full draw on the deer and set your 50 yard pin on the vitals you simply check the location of your 30 yard pin. If it is on the branch at 30 yards then you are going to hit it. If your 30 yard pin is clear then you are good to go. The nice thing is if your 30 yard pin is on the branch you can usually rise up or down slightly to get clearance for the shot and know with confidence your shot is clear. This works for a bush that is covering the bottom half or more of your target. If that bush is also at 30 yards and you put your 50 yard pin where you know where the vitals are, you then check your 30 yard pin to see if it clears the top of the brush. If it does then you are clear for the shot. I hope this helps and all the best, RI Max
Good to know.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts